Bad product key RRS feed

• Question

• My product key will not work. A service tech at Circuit City was supposed to install OneCare for me for free as part of my purchase, but cancelled the set up (after inputting an ID, password, and product key) so that I could use my Windows live ID and password. Now OneCare says my product key is already in use, and all I have to do is click "activate again". That is not a valid option. Is there anyway to reset a product key through Microsoft, or is Circuit City going to have to send me a new copy of OneCare?

Monday, January 7, 2008 6:34 PM

Answers

• krieg_69

Product key already in use.

The product key must have been successfully activated with the Live ID the Circuit City Tech associated it with.

There is no option to change Live ID once the subscription is activated. You will have to wait for it to expire, purchase a new subscription and associate it with the desired Live ID.

The option we have left is if Circuit City will provide you with a new Product Key, activate or associate it with your desired Live ID. Or just use the Live ID the CC Tech has provided you.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:53 AM

All replies

• krieg_69

Product key already in use.

The product key must have been successfully activated with the Live ID the Circuit City Tech associated it with.

There is no option to change Live ID once the subscription is activated. You will have to wait for it to expire, purchase a new subscription and associate it with the desired Live ID.

The option we have left is if Circuit City will provide you with a new Product Key, activate or associate it with your desired Live ID. Or just use the Live ID the CC Tech has provided you.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:53 AM
  • Hello Krieg_69, If you contact support they can retreive your Live ID and password using your product key. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live / Windows Live One Care Forum Moderator
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:40 PM