Onetouch External drives RRS feed

Answers

• Probably the driver software that the button uses doesn't install on Windows Server 2003, which is the operating system Windows Home Server is based on. You wouldn't be able to back your server up with it anyway; backup tools aren't able to back up Windows Home Server so that it can be restored because of the way Windows Home Server manages drives and files.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:25 PM

All replies

• Probably the driver software that the button uses doesn't install on Windows Server 2003, which is the operating system Windows Home Server is based on. You wouldn't be able to back your server up with it anyway; backup tools aren't able to back up Windows Home Server so that it can be restored because of the way Windows Home Server manages drives and files.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:25 PM
  • The driver software installs fine as far as I can tell and the config utility runs Ok  - it is just that that pressing the button does nothing. I wondered if something in WHS blocks the trigger from the button?

In terms of backup, just to clarify, all that I am doing is running SyncToy to backup my Music share to an external drive.

I am currently doing this by using RDC from my desktop and was looking for a more automated way with less button pushing.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:16 PM
  • I have a maxtor one touch 250 connected to my whs as server backup. It mounts and is viewable in the drive storage window in the console. My question is, why would you want to use the maxtor autobackup button if connected directly to the server? What would you expect it to do? Maybe i misunderstood and you have it connected to a WHS CLIENT machine. WHS just needs connected drives to the server and then you do with them as you choose in the drive page in the console.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 10:57 PM
  • The drive itself works fine - the only issue is that the button itself will not work - this has been confirmed here:

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Maxtor-OneTouch-Products/Windows-Home-Server/td-p/53490;jsessionid=C590CECFDAF461CF1684968F6DCFD39B

What I wanted to do was to allow a way of connecting the drive to the server (not the client), press the OneTouch button that ran the following:

"C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\SyncToyCmd" -R "Music Backup"

This basically uses the Echo facility to backup my Music share on WHS to the Maxtor drive.

The only way I can do this currently is to initiate a RDC connection and run the shortcut from there. I was hoping to make the process more automatic but as you can see OneTouch doesn't work with servers :-(

Saturday, June 5, 2010 7:36 AM