Scheduled cleanup task for Client Computer Backups did not succeed RRS feed

• Question

• I brought this up in another discussion but thought I would bring it up separately after reading the other thread...

My WHS2011 server is running great and clients are backing up to it well. Just seeing 2 alerts all the time, both from the server. This one:

"Computer Monitoring Error - Can only partially assess the health of this comptuer"

doesn't scare me too much. However, this one:

"A scheduled cleanup task for Client Computer Backup did not succeed on (Sat. date) and the task has not been successful in 63 days."

does!

I have done many things to resolve this like:

• Manually execute the cleanup task
    • Reboot the server
    • Reboot the server and manually execute the cleanup task
    • Performing the job at the command prompt versus running the task

None of these have worked and the old backups are piling up. Any thoughts here?

Jared

Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:14 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem, although mine is only 24 days. But the backup drive is now down to 6 GB, and falling about 1GB/day. Help!
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:54 PM
  • I have the same problem also but it doesnt seem that Microsoft care....  I have looked through all forums and have tried various items even to the point of re-insalling the O/S but I still get the same two errors..
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Could you open a connect bug via http://connect and attached the log files under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs?

Thanks.

Monday, January 30, 2012 3:18 AM
  • The correct link for users not internal to microsoft.com would be http://connect.microsoft.com

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:49 AM
  • I am getting this error for the last three days.  Mine says that the task has not been successful for 21 days.  If I try to repair the issue it resolves (green) but within an hour returns.  I would not worry except that I have been getting backup errors as well.

Only thing I can remeber doing in the last week was a defrag of the server disks which I have never done before.

Peter R Ferguson

Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Hi Peter,

you could check the event log of the server, if it found ntfs errors. If this is the case, and if a damaged cluster is in the area occupied by the backup database, this may be enough to make it inaccessible in worst case.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:53 PM
  • If this is still an issue, check the folder on the server where the Client Computer Backups resides and make sure the folder does not have NTFS "compression" enabled. We encountered the same issue on a computer WHS 2011 boxes and finally tracked it down to an internal bug in the client backup cleanup task unable to create/update certain tmp files that were created on the compressed volume.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:06 AM