none
Moderators should not be able to change text in forums from other persons. RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this.

Edited by removed moderator name <abbr class="affil">MVP</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Moderator</abbr>Monday, July 19, 2010 6:44 AMThere is no English word "u". Please write "you" in full when posting here.

Who tells me that a moderator changes a text from me, which shows up on Internet as done by me which is not mine. Like every other community member he can add a message in which he writes his opinion, but not let his opinion show up as a message from me.

This should be impossible otherwise the Microsoft forums are in my idea not reliable.

Also should a moderator be unable to remove proposes of answers. What is the function of that?

Before it is misunderstood, the change was not in a message from me but in somebody else his reply.

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:45 PM

All replies

• It appears the Moderator used correct judgement and followed the Forum Moderator's Guide for Etiquette:

<snip>

Properly formulate full sentences – Write your posts in complete, intelligible sentences. Generally, it is best not to use abbreviations commonly found in Instant Messages or Text Messages. Examples of abbreviations in posts include the following:

• Did U install from the MS site
    • TTYL

<end snip>

In addition, there are some forum poster's that, unfortunately, publish a software product key, use objectionable/offensive language, or violate the forum's  Code of Conduct.  It is a Moderator's responsibility to help protect a poster's personal information from public display (if inadvertantely disclosed) and maintain a semblance of relevancy - that is why editing a post is an essential Moderator's tool.

Carey Frisch
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Carey,

I wrote that for that to add a simple question to the Original Poster is enough to clear that. In a good forum the community will folow you in that.

A moderator is no judge, so removing a message or changing that, which is not marked as abuse, for instance just because the moderator feels him/her personally attacked is in my idea direct a violation of the Code of Conduct by a Moderator.

This is the main reason many persons active in communities including many MVP's don't want to share in Microsoft Forums.

There are situations that a moderator should remove a message, for instance as obviously the International law is violated by publishing product keys.

It seems that some moderators misuse the options there are given, then there are two possibilities, change the tool or remove the moderator.

I don't opt for the second one.

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:55 AM
  • It appears the Moderator used correct judgement and followed the Forum Moderator's Guide for Etiquette:

<snip>

Carey Frisch

Forum Moderation Guide: Moderation Tasks: Etiquette  is part of the guidelines for Moderators' professional conduct.

It does not apply to, nor is it meant to apply to, nor does it even discuss modifying an ordinary poster's speech.

Even so, it finishes by saying:  "However, in some situations, use of these terms can help to calm forum posters."

Especially if  Manvir singh pamma  is a regular forum poster here, that <snip> above was cited deceitfully out of context.

There is no mistaking why.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:52 AM