Windows 7 activation RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Windows 7 Professional and installed it on my Sony VAIO VGN-NR21Z, previously purchased with Vista installed. However, a problem concerning a conflict between this laptop and the graphics driver prevents me using Windows 7 and I am only able to use it in VISTA mode. Hence Windows 7 non useable on this laptop. I have recently bought a new destop to replace my old PC running XP, and forgetting I had previously activated my copy of Win 7 on my laptop I installed it on the new desktop and attempted to activate it, getting of course a message stating it was already registered on another PC. Is it possible to remove the activation for my laptop, and of course remove Win 7 from the laptop because it is not useable on that PC, to allow activation on my desktop
    • Edited by spike010 Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:45 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:44 PM

Answers

• "spike010" wrote in message news:093eb246-58f4-4e25-b257-1ebd8870ebd1...
    I purchased Windows 7 Professional and installed it on my Sony VAIO VGN-NR21Z, previously purchased with Vista installed. However, a problem concerning a conflict between this laptop and the graphics driver prevents me using Windows 7 and I am only able to use it in VISTA mode. Hence Windows 7 non useable on this laptop. I have recently bought a new destop to replace my old PC running XP, and forgetting I had previously activated my copy of Win 7 on my laptop I installed it on the new desktop and attempted to activate it, getting of course a message stating it was already registered on another PC. Is it possible to remove the activation for my laptop, and of course remove Win 7 from the laptop because it is not useable on that PC, to allow activation on my desktop

If your Windows 7 Pro is a Full Retail one, then simply reformat the laptop, and activate the current install by telephone.
    telephone activation.
    Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI 4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

If it’s an Upgrade, it will require an existing installation of Windows to upgrade from – does this desktop have its own license for a lower version or edition of Windows?

If the Pro is an OEM License, then it cannot be moved to a new PC under an circumstances.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:11 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:26 PM