Sharing External Hard Drive?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I have just recently setup my WHS, it works great!

I would like to know if its possible to share an external H/D through the WHS, thats physically attached to one of my home PCs?

If not, will i have to connect the H/D to the server physicallly? I dont want to format it because i have too much data on it already.

Many Thanks

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:27 AM

Answers

•  ImranAdam wrote:

I would like to know if its possible to share an external H/D through the WHS, thats physically attached to one of my home PCs?

If not, will i have to connect the H/D to the server physicallly? I dont want to format it because i have too much data on it already.

No, it's not possible to do what you want with the tools provided by Windows Home Server. The supported method is to copy the content on the external drive to your shares (create new shares if you need to).

If you're willing to step outside of Windows Home Server itself, you can connect the drive to your server and configure shares on it manually. This will require you to log in to your server (Remote Desktop or physically connected KVM) and create the shares just like you would on any other computer. In this case, Windows Home Server won't know about, and won't manage, those shares. They won't participate in Drive Extender, file duplication, server backup, etc.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:39 AM

All replies

•  ImranAdam wrote:

No, it's not possible to do what you want with the tools provided by Windows Home Server. The supported method is to copy the content on the external drive to your shares (create new shares if you need to).

If you're willing to step outside of Windows Home Server itself, you can connect the drive to your server and configure shares on it manually. This will require you to log in to your server (Remote Desktop or physically connected KVM) and create the shares just like you would on any other computer. In this case, Windows Home Server won't know about, and won't manage, those shares. They won't participate in Drive Extender, file duplication, server backup, etc.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:39 AM
  • On top of the drawbacks it may be, that sharing fails after a reboot, since the sharing process sometimes is faster than the USB drive assignment part. This would require another workaround ...

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:55 PM