Accessing the Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Okay.

All of the computers on my network run Windows 7, save a netbook running XP. My server is an Acer Aspire easyStore Home Server, running Windows Home Server.

Whenever I try to access the server via windows explorer or the console dialog, I get the following:

For network access, I get:

The only way I have managed to get around this is by opening up the web browser and typing in it's IP address, and once I see the server's home page, I can switch back to the console and log in without any trouble.

Is there any way I can get around typing in the IP address to access the home server faster? Or will I have to make a macro to solve?

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/game_theory.png
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:13 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a router problem - try rebooting it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Sorry forgot to mention that my tech level is very high and I would not have asked if I hadn't tried rebooting everything in a myriad of different orders.

Anyway, it's more likely that the computer doesn't know where to find the server until I tell it where it is every time... or something along those lines.

So I have restarted everything and the problem is not solved. Oh, and by the way, the Home server monitoring Icon seems to be working fine as soon as I get on the network. I just can't get to any of the server's functions until I go to the server's IP address on the web.

• Edited by Zodiamon Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:09 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:31 PM
  • It's a name resolution issue. Often, this type of issue is caused by using a third party name resolution service such as OpenDNS, either intentionally by configuring their servers as your DNS servers, or unintentionally, if your ISP uses them for DNS services.

First, is your server up to date with patches? A previous update to Windows Home Server V1 included some functionality to help deal with this situation. If not, make sure you get it up to date, using the update button in the console. Second, assuming your server is configured to use a static IP address, you can modify the HOSTS file on each home computer to associate your server's name and IP address.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:39 PM
  • The server is updating as I speak. Could you give me a code skeleton that I could put in the HOSTS files? I know I said I have a high tech level but I am not very good at coding (something that I need to work on).

UPDATE: there weren't any updates, so I guess that the server already has them installed.

• Edited by Zodiamon Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:55 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:42 PM
  • The only temporary solution I have found is to type in the IP address of the server to "wake it up" and then to try to connect. Although this works perfectly, I cannot figure out why it is going offline in the first place.

• Edited by Zodiamon Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:59 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Setting up HOSTS files.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:50 PM