none
Preserving older files RRS feed

• Question

• is it possible to preserve older versions of all files with an identical name but different date?  I want an option that will mean instead of deleting the older file, the older file is preserved and the newer file is renamed:  i.e. ThisIsMyFile.doc (older file) ThisIsMyFile (1).doc (newer file).  Is there a default setting I can switch on to get this happening bi-directionally?

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:20 AM

Answers

• HI gregsy,

Synctoy do not have this feature that you said, but I assume the below way will workaround your problem:

Folder Pair Options

Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin: This option is on by default. Before overwriting an older file with a newer file or deleting a file, by default SyncToy will move the older file to the Recycle Bin. If this option is unchecked, the older file is overwritten with the newer file or, if it's being deleted, it is deleted permanently. The older file can not be recovered in that case, but less disk space is used. In Vista, you can use the Previous Versions feature on a file to recover older versions of the file.

Recover Overwritten Files

By default, SyncToy never deletes or overwrites any files. Instead, it moves the files to the system Recycle Bin. Should you need to do so, you can recover these files from the Recycle Bin and copy them wherever you like.

Windows Vista

• Select the start button.
    • Position the mouse cursor on the Computer option and press the right mouse button.
    • Select the Explore option from the context menu.
    • Select the Recycle Bin icon in the left navigation pane.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:21 AM