Almost all shared files corrupted RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using windows home server for almost a year without any issue.  Have been relying on the product for the backup of 10 years worth of precious photos.  Started noticing strange problems with certain videos I had stored on the WHS, and when I went to go and look at my photo collection, every file is corrupt!!!  I even tried to logon using remote desktop direct to the console and when opening a file get the same corruption message.

Luckily my photos were backed up offiste using KeepVault Backup (THANK GOD!), but I've lost countless videos and other files due to this strange corruption file - many of which I've not touched in ages!  If anybody has seen this or knows why this might be please help.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:50 AM

All replies

• What error message are you seeing?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:55 PM
  • If you have duplication enabled for all shares the files should normally still be there, however they may be inaccessible through the shares as you describe.

Most likely one more of your disks is failing, which should also be visible in the WHS Console health messages. Once you found which disk is failing you can physically remove it (if it's a data disk), THEN also remove it from the WHS console. Once this process is finished all your files should be accessible again through the shares. If it's the system disk which is failing you should replace it with a new disk (make sure to connect the new disk to the same port, then do a server reinstall. This should also preserve all data in shares for which duplication is enabled. Please note that you client backups are likeky to be lost when you replace the system disk.  Some times it's a bit of a challenge to find out which physical disk is actually failing, especially if you have many data disks. 

Before you start replacing the disk I would advise you to run chkdsk /r on all drives in your server as described in the FAQ post How to check all the drives in your server for errors. There's a fair chance this will fix your problem, however please note that in case of failing hardware this may only be a temporary fix.

If you don't feel comfortable removing disks or doing a server reinstall there's another way to access your data; when you logon to the server desktop you can browse to D:\DE\shares and/or C:\fs\X\DE\shares (X represents drive letter or number). These are the locations where the actual files are stored. Please do not edit or move any of the files from these locations, copy to another disk is no problem. Also please read the FAQ posts How to recover data after server failure and FAQ: How do I resolve file conflicts.

GOOD LUCK!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:57 PM