none
Home Server Backup Failed - "Failed to process...." RRS feed

• Question

• I was running the trial software before and never setup the back up drive since I usually just back up my 100gb of data onto an external. But now with my 100gb of regular data and 600gb of DVDs I wanted to duplicate the files through the server.
    So now with a new Gigabyte mother that supports 8Sata drives I install my boot drive (Maxtor 250gb Sata1) on SATA2(2SATA) controller and then add on 1TB WD Green on Intel (6SATA) controllerfor 1.25 TB total. I have around 700gb on the storage spanned drives. Now I have a extra 1tb WD green drive installed for my back up. I added it as storage and formatted. Under Console/Computers & Back Ups I right click on the server and select Back Up Now. I select all shared folders (700gb) to be backed up to the 1TB back up drive. So far I have found two areas that the files will not transfer over and it hangs up the rest of the back up. But if I manually copy/paste the files over to the other drive I can copy those areas without problems.

The screen attempts 4 tries to back up files and then states it has failed. It reads

Failed to process file Photos\Dog\ehtumbs_vista.db Could not find file D: share\Photos\Dog\ \ehtumbs_vista.db. 

There are some other files that have the same issue. When I removed some of the files I was able to continue. The problem is it can't skip these files and continue , It hangs up the entire process and I have to start from scratch. Why does the built in back up feature fail on these files when Copy/Paste or SyncToy has no problems.

Last I have had some odd errors and BSOD since the new board install but also never tried the same back up process in the past install. I am wondering if having the boot drive on the Gigabyte Sata2 controller and the 1TB drives on the Intel Sata controllers could be a problem. The whole purpose for the new board was to support total 8 Sata devices. Originally when I attempted Raid 1 it worked fine but when I copied over the entire collection over night my system show errors in the RAID 1 and ran very slow. The drives have always worked fine though? Next I reload without RAID 1 and use just the single boot drive and things seem fine but after a overnight back up I see the system restarted after a blue screen error. Last night I tried to run the above back up and my added on storage 1TB drive showed some caution description and that it wanted to repair the drive. So I figured I would copy/paste the drives contents before repair check and when I return home today only some of the contents transfered and looks like another reboot/blue screen. I have only the latest Intel P45 chipset drivers and NIC drivers installed and no other 3rd party apps or drives. What does this sound like?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:04 AM

All replies

• I was running the trial software before and never setup the back up drive since I usually just back up my 100gb of data onto an external. But now with my 100gb of regular data and 600gb of DVDs I wanted to duplicate the files through the server.
    So now with a new Gigabyte mother that supports 8Sata drives I install my boot drive (Maxtor 250gb Sata1) on SATA2(2SATA) controller and then add on 1TB WD Green on Intel (6SATA) controllerfor 1.25 TB total.

Did you move your WHS install from one computer to another?  If so, did you reinstall WHS?

I have around 700gb on the storage spanned drives. Now I have a extra 1tb WD green drive installed for my back up. I added it as storage and formatted.

If you add the drive to the storage pool, you can't use it to backup your shares (it's one or the other, not both).  (I assume you didn't actually add it to the pool.)

Under Console/Computers & Back Ups I right click on the server and select Back Up Now. I select all shared folders (700gb) to be backed up to the 1TB back up drive. So far I have found two areas that the files will not transfer over and it hangs up the rest of the back up. But if I manually copy/paste the files over to the other drive I can copy those areas without problems.

The screen attempts 4 tries to back up files and then states it has failed. It reads

Failed to process file Photos\Dog\ehtumbs_vista.db Could not find file D: share\Photos\Dog\ \ehtumbs_vista.db. 

There are some other files that have the same issue. When I removed some of the files I was able to continue. The problem is it can't skip these files and continue , It hangs up the entire process and I have to start from scratch. Why does the built in back up feature fail on these files when Copy/Paste or SyncToy has no problems.

Are you doing a copy/paste from a client through the network shares (or by some other method)?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on all of your hard drives?

Last I have had some odd errors and BSOD since the new board install but also never tried the same back up process in the past install. I am wondering if having the boot drive on the Gigabyte Sata2 controller and the 1TB drives on the Intel Sata controllers could be a problem. The whole purpose for the new board was to support total 8 Sata devices. Originally when I attempted Raid 1 it worked fine but when I copied over the entire collection over night my system show errors in the RAID 1 and ran very slow.

FYI, RAID is not supported on WHS.

The drives have always worked fine though? Next I reload without RAID 1 and use just the single boot drive and things seem fine but after a overnight back up I see the system restarted after a blue screen error. Last night I tried to run the above back up and my added on storage 1TB drive showed some caution description and that it wanted to repair the drive. So I figured I would copy/paste the drives contents before repair check and when I return home today only some of the contents transfered and looks like another reboot/blue screen. I have only the latest Intel P45 chipset drivers and NIC drivers installed and no other 3rd party apps or drives. What does this sound like?
    It sounds like a hardware issue.  As to exactly where, it's hard to say (hard drive, cabling, power supply are all possibilities).
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 5:21 AM
  • As far as the failed to copy files through the server back up console option. When I kept rerunning the back up and it would error out , I would manually delete or move the failing to copy over files. Once I got rid of those files I was able to complete a full back up of the 700gb. Doesn't make me feel confident though that down the road I might have the same issue with a few files here and there not wanting to back up which will just be annouying having to find and delete it before I can continue with the built in server back up feature. Only considering using SyncToy 2.0 if it continues to give me grief. Also I am not sure if the blue screen errors/reboots were actually a totally different issue or if it is related. Most likely a second issue hardware related.

Did you move your WHS install from one computer to another?  If so, did you reinstall WHS? : Full clean install of WHS. Only loaded intel chipset and realtek LAN drivers. Audio disabled, RAID disabled, Nvidia GPU used built in drivers from the OS. I believe in clean installs when possible, I don't mind a little extra time to make sure I know all drivers were installed fresh and no possible issues from the past install.

If you add the drive to the storage pool, you can't use it to backup your shares (it's one or the other, not both).  (I assume you didn't actually add it to the pool.)"Now I have a extra 1tb WD green drive installed for my back up"  I have one 1TB added to the 250gb for pooled storage and one more 1TB drive added for back up storage.

Are you doing a copy/paste from a client through the network shares (or by some other method)?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on all of your hard drives? Nope, I haven't ran Chkdsk yet. And that is locally on the server itself did I start the copy/paste.

FYI, RAID is not supported on WHS. Yes I know, this is why when I tried it on the hardware level and then had a issue either in the hardware controller or in the OS not taking nicely to it did I mention I performed a standard single HD install. "Originally when I attempted Raid 1 it worked fine but when I copied over the entire collection over night my system show errors in the RAID 1 and ran very slow. The drives have always worked fine though? Next I reload without RAID 1 and use just the single boot drive and things seem fine "

It sounds like a hardware issue.  As to exactly where, it's hard to say (hard drive, cabling, power supply are all possibilities). I couldn't agree more. Besides not running chkdsk on the drives yet the only other area that I thought about since the original post was my memory. I am using 2x 1gb Corsair XMS DDR2 PC6400 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v. I noticed the new MB was set to auto and actual voltage to DRAM was 1.9v but timings were still good. I decided at first to leave it alone but after these two blue screen reboots I figured I need to rule that out and set the voltage fixed to 2.1 now.
    If the issue comes back with the correct voltage then another area could be that I have the first 250gb drive installed to the Gigabyte controller(2x SATA) and I have the pooled 1TB drive and the back up 1TB drive both installed on the Intel controller (6x SATA). Do you think this could cause a issue having two drives pooled together on different SATA contollers? If so do you think I could simply unplug the boot 250gb drive off Gigabyte controller and plug it into the Intel chipset controller without any change under the server OS? Do you think that will break the pooled storage?

Thanks for your detailed response. What do you think mainly about the last section about hardware issues and DRAM voltage or two SATA contollers used on the pooled storage?

Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:28 PM