OneCare 2.0: AntiVirus for Email? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Outlook 2007 to access my email on an Exchange 2007 server.  Does OneCare scan my email for viruses?  Exchange 2007 seems to do this on it's own, but I'm curious about OneCare and email.  I also use Windows Live Mail Desktop -- does OneCare do any scanning with that?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 7:27 AM

Answers

• One Care does not scan incoming e- mail. One Care will scan e-mail during a virus scan or tune up and will scan attachments when opened.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 1:29 PM

All replies

• One Care does not scan incoming e- mail. One Care will scan e-mail during a virus scan or tune up and will scan attachments when opened.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Do you not think OC would be better if it did scan incoming emails?

Is this something that can be added to OC?

Is it currently being considered?

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:25 AM
  • I don't , since the methods used to scan email 'on the fly' are glitchy and create significant overhead for the operation of the PC.

I'm glad you asked this since I found a FAQ about Symantec's email scanning that covers their solution quite well and also contains this key paragraph, which sums up why I think it's unnecessary quite well.

Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?

Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus definitions.

OneCare performs the same type of Auto-Protect or real-time protection on any file that is read or written, so email scanning is really just unnecessary overhead. It was created at a time before the Microsoft OS provided an API (Application Programming Interface) which provides an AntiVirus the ability to take control of a file, scan it, and either quarantine or delete it before it's ever passed to the operating system itself or other applications.

With the addition of this ability, there's really no need to scan it on the way in to the system since it will be scanned again by the real-time protection anyway, creating a useless redundancy since the scanning engines themselves are really the same one. It's also much more common for your ISP to have even better virus protection than you do, since they recognize the delivery of new viruses much more quickly across the large number of users, assuming you are using a major ISP.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Oh this answers my question I was just about to post. But I was wondering I use Norton now and I'm wondering if OneCare is better to use? I was told by others that Norton is a memory hug and I should get rid of it?

Thanks for the great info!

Friday, March 28, 2008 12:25 AM
  • Heather, it is really a matter of personal preference. Many people feel that Norton is bloated and there have been many cases of Norton products causing mysterious problems, but if it works well for you and you have a subscription, I'd continue using it. If you are considering switching, you can remove Norton and install OneCare as a trial for 90 days before making a decision to purchase it.

-steve

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:14 AM
  • Hi, I'm running XP Pro service pack 3, Outlook 2003, Onecare 2.5 and Microsoft autoupdates ON.

PROBLEM: I'm constantly getting ERROR Task - Receiving reported error (0x8004210A); The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server. -> Interestingly, if I constantly reboot I can send AND receive for a little while then I can't receive anymore and get the "Receiving reported error (0x8004210A); The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server".

I have checked my mails setup with the instructions on www.pacific.net.au website and they are correct and my ISP tell me to disable email scanning by my anti-virus application as it provides no additional protection. BUT, your posting says that Onecare does not do this.

Do you have any suggestion for a fix so I can use your product Onecare and still receive emails without these constant timed out errors?

Thank you,

john
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:32 PM
  • Hoops1 said:

Hi, I'm running XP Pro service pack 3, Outlook 2003, Onecare 2.5 and Microsoft autoupdates ON.

PROBLEM: I'm constantly getting ERROR Task - Receiving reported error (0x8004210A); The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server. -> Interestingly, if I constantly reboot I can send AND receive for a little while then I can't receive anymore and get the "Receiving reported error (0x8004210A); The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server".

I have checked my mails setup with the instructions on www.pacific.net.au website and they are correct and my ISP tell me to disable email scanning by my anti-virus application as it provides no additional protection. BUT, your posting says that Onecare does not do this.

Do you have any suggestion for a fix so I can use your product Onecare and still receive emails without these constant timed out errors?

Thank you,

john

This problem is most likely due to leftover bits from your previous security software or you still have other security software installed. Norton/Symantec and McAfee are both likely suspects as they provide email scanning by inserting a proxy for your email send/receive in order to intercept and scan it. Be sure to remove all traces of other security software if you are using OneCare.
    If email works on a reboot, we know that your settings are correct, so it is likely to be an active service or bits from other security software.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:38 PM