On line updates for S & T RRS feed

• Question

• Back in the "good old days," Streets and Trips sold annual subscriptions instead of a new updated version every year or so.  It would seem to me, I have little production experience, that it would be less expensive for all concerned to return to this method of updating.  Many of the other reference works that are no longer available also sold with annual subscriptions.  One of my favorites was the Encyclopedia of Film - or a title similar to that.

Also, maybe someone out there can explain to me how updated maps come about.  It is my understanding that there are only two satelite mapping sources out there and just about everyone uses them.  My question has to do with my new home - a resale not a newly constructed.  The subdivision was finished over 4 years ago.  My street does not appear on S & T nor MapPoint 2011 versions.  It does however appear on Bing Maps, both road and aerial view. 

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:29 PM

All replies

• Back in the "good old days," Streets and Trips sold annual subscriptions instead of a new updated version every year or so.  ...

Did it?  I don't remember that.  I have been buying S&T in retail stores and on-line a version at a time since the late 1990s.  I never heard of subscriptions.

I understand that map data is 'bought' by MSFT from NAVTEQ as the "About" pop-up implies.  Each version of S&T seems to have its own version of NAVTEQ's map data and there seems to be a bit of a lag.  For instance, S&T 2010's "About" pop-up references a 2009 copyright for the NAVTEQ components.  Bing maps have the advantage of being able to be replaced whenever they have new data or new photos because it is on-line. Maybe S&T 2013, if there is one, will show your subdivision. 

But MSFT cannot mix on-line data with on-disc data bases.  Once the disc is compiled and printed, S&T can use only that data that was on the disc.  The closest they can come with currently-used technology is the "Show in Bing Maps" function.  Therefore, if you have a doubt about a geographic area, the best thing to do is to click on "Show in Bing Maps" to see if what you see in your version of S&T is the latest poop. 

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:59 AM
  • The subdivision was finished over 4 years ago.  My street does not appear on S & T nor MapPoint 2011 versions.

Hi David,

Version 2011 released about a year and a half ago, at which time your subdivision was about 2 and a half years old. In my experience it takes on average about three years for new streets to make it into navigable maps. The next version will most likely have it.

Independent community of S&T users

Laptop GPS World

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:33 AM