Synctoy recovery1.4 vs 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been using synctoy to backup a pc to an external hard drive.  My pc hard drive failed so now I want to restore my synctoy backup to a new pc from the external HD.  I was using 1.4, but I see that only 2.0 is available now.  I also see that I must do a complete sync before upgrading to 2.0.  Can I get 1.4 to load on my new pc?  And more important, how do I restore data to the new PC so I do not see all those extra synctoy files, but just folders and up to date files?  Summary of issue-What is the process to restore a 1.4 synctoy backup onto a new pc, using 1.4 if I can get it, or 2.0?
    Friday, September 26, 2008 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hi -

I am not sure what you mean by the extra SyncToy files?

But to restore your files on your new PC -

1) Install SyncToy 2.0 on your new PC.

2) Set up folder pairs between hard disk and your backup disk ( Your left folder is on the hard disk and empty, your right folder is your backup disk and contains the files you want). Set the sync option as "Synchronize"

3) When you sync - all files from the right should appear on the left.

4) Then change the sync option to "Echo" so that you can continue to use synctoy as a backup solution.

Thanks
    Deepa

Friday, September 26, 2008 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi -

I am not sure what you mean by the extra SyncToy files?

But to restore your files on your new PC -

1) Install SyncToy 2.0 on your new PC.

2) Set up folder pairs between hard disk and your backup disk ( Your left folder is on the hard disk and empty, your right folder is your backup disk and contains the files you want). Set the sync option as "Synchronize"

3) When you sync - all files from the right should appear on the left.

4) Then change the sync option to "Echo" so that you can continue to use synctoy as a backup solution.

Thanks
    Deepa

Friday, September 26, 2008 6:13 PM
  • I need SyncToy 1.4 also.  It worked.  SyncToy 2.0 like the beta version is slow and just hangs and is cr@p.  I tried 2.0 which did not work and 1.4 is now unavailable.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:48 PM