none
MCSE 2003 upgrade to MCITP Server administrator with option to later upgrade to Enterprise Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently an MCSE 2003 and would like to initially upgrade to the MCITP, Server Administrator certification (which requires tests 70-648 and 70-646), but I would also like the option in the future to upgrade to the MCITP Enterprise Administrator (which requires 70-649, 70-680, and 70-647).  In an effort to take as few tests as possible, can I take 70-649 and 70-646 to receive the MCITP Server Administrator (leaving only 70-680 and 70-647 if I decide to change later)?  If I take 70-648 and decide later I would like to change to an Enterprise Admin, I would then be required to take 70-643 in addition to the other two tests to make the change.

I am uncertain of my specific career path and am trying to make a decision that will keep me versitile.  In short, will passing 70-649 and 70-646 give me the MCITP Server Administrator certification?

Thanks!

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:21 PM

Answers

• By following the choices at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab4, it appears that your best option (in the sense that it requires the smallest number of exams) would be to take 70-649. Together with your MCSE2003, this would give you three MCTS, on Active Directory, Network Infrastructure and Application Infrastructure.

If you then want to become a MCITP:Server Administrator, you only need the 70-646, because the two MCTS requirements would already be met.

And if you decide to target the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, then you could take 70-647 and 70-680, since the three MCTS requiremente would already be met.

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:36 PM

All replies

• By following the choices at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab4, it appears that your best option (in the sense that it requires the smallest number of exams) would be to take 70-649. Together with your MCSE2003, this would give you three MCTS, on Active Directory, Network Infrastructure and Application Infrastructure.

If you then want to become a MCITP:Server Administrator, you only need the 70-646, because the two MCTS requirements would already be met.

And if you decide to target the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, then you could take 70-647 and 70-680, since the three MCTS requiremente would already be met.

• Thank you for your help!
  • On Dec 15, 2014 I passed test 70-646 with an 861. Previous in 2012 I took and passed 70-649 . As indicated above, I thought I would earn the MCITP: Server Administrator and it would be reflected on my Microsoft transcript. As of this writing and after mutiple emails and phone calls to MCP Help, they continue to tell me "We have been informed that your concern is being investigated by a higher line of Technical Support. Once we received an update, we will send you an e-mail notification as soon as possible." I have sent the supporting documentation showing that both 70-649 and 70-646 have not been retired and other websites showing the certification path you describe above to earn the MCITP: Server Administrator, After almost 2 months of waiting, they are apparently still "investigating". Do you have any suggestions?
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:34 AM