Using JungleDisk (non WHS version) and robocopy to backup your shared folders.... RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is a short document on how to setup Jungle Disk (non WHS version) to backup the shared folders portion of windows home server.

Things to consider before starting:

• Yes, I know there is a WHS specific version of Jungle Disk coming out, anytime now.  If you can wait for the WHS version, do so.  On the other hand, I've got a backup problem that needs to be solved now, not wait for a vendor to decide how coy to be with release dates...
    • If you are not technical enough to start and use remote desktop sessions with your WHS box, or make registry changes to the WHS box, or start and stop services, or install code on a WHS box, don't use this procedure - wait for the WHS specific version of Jungle Disk.
    • This procedure assumes you have a fixed IP address assigned to your WHS box, if your box gets a new IP address each time you boot, wait for the WHS specific version of Jungle Disk.
    • Jungle disk makes your S3 disk space appear as another drive in your drive list (usually the J: drive).  This mapping only works while someone is "logged into" a console session with WHS.  When you log out, the drive mapping is lost.  So if you need a backup to happen at a scheduled time, you need to leave a console session with WHS logged in for long periods of time (you would 'disconnect' the WHS console session instead of logging out).
    • This procedure worked for me, your mileage may vary, use at your own risk.  When you cut your toes off with the lawn mower, don't come running to me....

Pre-setup:

Download and install the following packages onto your windows home server:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=17C36612-632E-4C04-9382-987622ED1D64&displaylang=en
    (This is a web folders support fix from Microsoft for windows server 2003)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en
    (This is the windows server 2003 resource tools kit - you need robocopy for later...)

Start the Web Client Service on your WHS.  To do this, remote Desktop into your windows home server.  Click Start->Run,type 'Services.msc' into the command box and hit OK. Find the 'Web Client' line and click 'Start'.  Right-click on the 'Web Client' line, and select properties.  Click the 'General' tab, and change the startup type to 'Automatic'.  Hit OK.

Turn on WebDav Web services extensions.  Click Start, Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'.  In the left hand pane, double-click the 'Services and Applications' line to expand it.  Then double-click the 'Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager' line to expand that.  Single-click the "Web Services Extensions" line.  In the right-hand pane, right click the 'WebDAV' line, and select 'Allow'.

Open up HTTP services.  Start the registry editor on the WHS box.  Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP\Parameters key.
     Add a new "Multi-string value" called 'ListenOnlyList' (without the quotes).
     For value data, enter the external machine IP addressStick out tongueort you want IIS to bind to (e.g. if your IP is 204.130.34.5 you would enter 204.130.34.5:80 in the list)

Reboot your WHS.  Don't skip this step, it is important, you can only make the http service recognize your registry changes by rebooting.  Don't play service start/stop games and hope it works, just reboot the WHS box.

Setup of S3 and Jungle Disk:

Use this article to setup Amazon S3 and Jungle Disk on your WHS box:

http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1049

OK, so the article applies to MACS, but you can use the same procedure for windows (just install the windows software instead of MAC software).  The important thing is to get a 'Access Key ID' and 'Secret Access Key' configured in Amazon S3, and then copy these into the configuration for Jungle Disk.

When Jungle disk is running, you should see an icon for it in the system tray area of the WHS console.

Using Jungle Disk and Robocopy for Backups:

OK, so Jungle Disk has a backup function that you can use.  Problem is, it tends to backup everything, every time.  When your backup set is 21 Gb, like mine is, that's way too long to do every time...

I'm looking for a backup that checks for differences and only backs up files that have changed.  I'm also looking for a backup that "mirrors" our source directories, so if a file or directory has been deleted, then the backup catches up to that state next time it is run.  To do this, we're going to use robocopy.exe, a windows server 2003 resource kit tool, and let Jungle disk just provide our J: drive mapping.  This is actually recommended in the release notes for Jungle Disk.

- Go find robocopy.exe on the WHS hard drive.  Copy it to the windows directory so this tool can be used anywhere...

- Create a file called "BackUpWHS.bat" with the following text:

@echo off
    robocopy \\SERVER\Photos J:\backups\SERVER\photos .* /S /Z /MIR /XX /R:10 /W:10 /LOGStick out tonguehotoBackup.log /TEE
    robocopy \\SERVER\public J:\backups\SERVER\public *.* /S /Z /MIR /XX /R:10 /W:10 /LOGStick out tongueublicBackup.log /TEE
    robocopy \\SERVER\users J:\backups\SERVER\users *.* /S /Z /MIR /XX /R:10 /W:10 /LOG:usersBackup.log /TEE

If your server name is something other than 'Server' than you need to replace the SERVER entries in these lines with your server name.

If you have additional WHS shared directories you need to backup, you need to add additional lines, one for each WHS shared directory you want to backup.

Note that we are backing up WHS from the external interfaces (ie, \\SERVER\users).  Don't try to use local drive mappings to get to this data, you don't know if you're copying a tombstone or not, but the external interface is safe.

Because of "busy" errors accessing WHS, or drops in your DSL line, you will notice that some backup files are skipped.  You can look at the log to see when this happens.  If so, just run the backup again, and it will go back and "catch up" the files that were skipped.  So for really, really long backups, I have to run it twice to make sure everything is correctly copied....

- If you want to backup your folders once-a-week, setup a windows server 2003 scheduled task, and run BackupWHS.bat every week or so.  Just realize that backing up large amounts of data takes a long time, even at DSL speeds.

As I said, this is what worked for me.  Since I ran into some bumps along the way, figured I'd publish what I've found and hope somebody else can benefit from it.

<Puts on his bullet proof vest>

Questions?  Comments?

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:17 AM

All replies

• I really hate it when emoticons take over text...

The BackUpWHS.bat text should be:

@echo off
    robocopy \\SERVER\Photos J:\backups\SERVER\photos .* /S /Z /MIR /XX /R:10 /W:10 /LOG:uphotoBackup.log /TEE
    robocopy \\SERVER\public J:\backups\SERVER\public *.* /S /Z /MIR /XX /R:10 /W:10 /LOG:upublicBackup.log /TEE
    robocopy \\SERVER\users J:\backups\SERVER\users *.* /S /Z /MIR /XX /R:10 /W:10 /LOG:usersBackup.log /TEE

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:22 AM
  • Hi DDanster,

Can we place this on our site? Excellent post.

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Yes, please do...

Monday, October 22, 2007 1:19 PM
  • DDanster under  Open up HTTP services, for the IP address is that the servers IP address or one of the client machines?

Monday, October 22, 2007 2:10 PM
  • You would use the IP address of your WHS box, so if my WHS box IP address is 10.5.1.1, you would add the string '10.5.1.1:80' (without the quotes).

The Jungle disk release notes talk about using this fix as one of the ways to fix the problem:

"Windows Server 2003 machines running IIS6 on port 80 will not be able to use native drive mapping in the standard configuration"

I chose the registry key because my WHS IP address is fixed, and the registry key is the most direct fix.

There are other solutions discussed in this thread:

http://forum.jungledisk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1057#2124

The other things this thread talks about is the importance of rebooting after changing the registry...

Dan

Monday, October 22, 2007 5:42 PM