Workflow does not create tasks RRS feed

• Question

• CRM 4.0

I have a workflow which generates emails and creates tasks when a quote is created.  The workflow sends the emails just fine but for some reason the task never gets created.  The history of the workflow shows that both sections were completed. 
    The workflow in question has an orginization scope and the owner is an admin on the system.

Has anybody seen Workflows just flat refuse to create a task?

On a side note when installing the offline client I have run into a few laptops that wont install SQL.  You can click install all you want but it refuses to budge.  Just to see if I could get any kind of better error reporting I installed SQL Server express on the laptop and it installed without a hitch.  Unfortunately the CRM doesn't seem to play nicely with that installation.

Cheers!

JR Ray

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hi, can you do like this please?

• Open the created quote
    • Go to the associated Workflows
    • Find the workflow instance that (supposedly) ran successfully
    • Open it
    • If the branch including the task creation was traversed you'll find a link to the actual task that was created
    • Click on that link and you'll open the task.

Now, the above is what *should* happen. Let us know which part of the above instruction sequence does not work.

As a possible cause of your problem, note that creating the task is not the same as assigning it. You might have to create it and assign it in a separate step, depending on your business logic.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I haven't seen a workflow show that it has created a task, but not actually create the task.

Check the status/statusreason of the task being created -to see if it's being created and somehow excluded from your default views. (you could also could open a filtered view and check there to see if it was being created.) 

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:52 PM
  • As for SQL Server Express problem, I've had the same problem with machines running Vista 64 bits. I've had to install SQL Express myself first, then run the CRM Install.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:12 PM

All replies

• I haven't seen a workflow show that it has created a task, but not actually create the task.

Check the status/statusreason of the task being created -to see if it's being created and somehow excluded from your default views. (you could also could open a filtered view and check there to see if it was being created.) 

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:52 PM
  • As for SQL Server Express problem, I've had the same problem with machines running Vista 64 bits. I've had to install SQL Express myself first, then run the CRM Install.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Hi, can you do like this please?

• Open the created quote
    • Go to the associated Workflows
    • Find the workflow instance that (supposedly) ran successfully
    • Open it
    • If the branch including the task creation was traversed you'll find a link to the actual task that was created
    • Click on that link and you'll open the task.

Now, the above is what *should* happen. Let us know which part of the above instruction sequence does not work.

As a possible cause of your problem, note that creating the task is not the same as assigning it. You might have to create it and assign it in a separate step, depending on your business logic.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:19 PM