Career Path/ Certification advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm certified as Cisco CCNA and most recently MCTS: Win 2008 Active Directory, Configuring (83-640). I have been debating on whether to focus my career on cisco or microsoft technologies. I am currently leaning towards MS, because I have a big interest in Exchange/Active directory and feel I am more passioniate when it comes to learning those technologies. I have 10+ years experience in Help Desk/ Senior Desktop roles. Current employer has no advancement opportunities and I'd rather look outside anyway.

What is the best path for me? I know that eventually, I would like to complete the 70-662 and 70-663 (materials are not currently available yet). Should I be going for MCITP: Server or Enterprise(or even both)? I really would like to keep my focus on AD and Exchange, and have that kind of job role, but I do not know if such roles exist. I wish they had an MCITP for Directory Services. I'm confident in my AD skills, but I am not an expert, but would like to be. Last year I was studying for the Exchange 2007 configuring exam, but never wrote the exam. At this point, I'd much rather start with Exchange 2010.

Also, what is the best self-paced CBT programs for these technologies? I saw Global Knowledge has this course Designing a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Infrastructure and Service (M6436) for $550....but I noticed that is geared towards the 70-647 exam. Should I purchase this course or are there better alternatives?

Any help you can give me, I would greatly appreciate.

thanks in advance.

Friday, December 25, 2009 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi

you could complete rest of your exams and get MCITP:Server Administrator and MCITP:Enterprise Administrator. you should understand the difference between those two certifications before you take them. Server Administrator is a person who will take care of the system.  it's more of an Administration Job. Enterprise Administrator does consultation and designing. i would suggest you do both since you will be fit for both Active Directoy Admnistration and Designing roles. not only that you should also take Exchange Exams and get MCITP:Enterprise Messaging Administrator credential.

for learning, you could attend to classes conducted by a learning partner or if your interested in learning on your own i would suggest that you purchase MS PRESS books and build your own lab to do testing and research

please get back to me if you have any further queries
    Nirmal Madhawa Thewarathanthri
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 1:38 PM
  • There's no reason to complete bothy the Server and Enterprise MCITP.  Just cojmplete the Enterprise MCITP.  That will give you the broadest education on Server 2008. 

Even completing just the MCTS in Exchange Server 2007 (or 2010 when it comes out) would be of great benefit.
    • Marked as answer by Mike_NJ Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:06 AM
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:45 PM
    Answerer
  • hi

please note that the Exchange 2010 Exam has been release. you can take the exam but the offial course is not yet released. you can use Exchane 2010 MS Press book and study for this

Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi

you could complete rest of your exams and get MCITP:Server Administrator and MCITP:Enterprise Administrator. you should understand the difference between those two certifications before you take them. Server Administrator is a person who will take care of the system.  it's more of an Administration Job. Enterprise Administrator does consultation and designing. i would suggest you do both since you will be fit for both Active Directoy Admnistration and Designing roles. not only that you should also take Exchange Exams and get MCITP:Enterprise Messaging Administrator credential.

for learning, you could attend to classes conducted by a learning partner or if your interested in learning on your own i would suggest that you purchase MS PRESS books and build your own lab to do testing and research

please get back to me if you have any further queries
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Nirmal. I have previously researched the Server Admin vs Enterprise Admin. Is there a specific order that would be take these exams? What I mean is, can I do the MCITP:Exchange before MCITP:Server/Enterprise, or should I do those before? Also, I know it is faster to get the MCITP: Server(2 exams left for that), but would I be better off completing the Enterprise Admin first for employment opportunities purposes?

I lab everything, I am considering purchasing a technet plus direct subscription so I can have unliimited access to the products without trial periods . I currently use vmware server with the 60/180 day trial software to create my virtual environments. I'm hoping this willl count a little as "hands on" to prospective employers. Just to read books and write exams is useless and a waste of time and money, without configuring and troubleshooting the stuff.

Thanks again for your reply.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Hi

there's no specific order to take these exams. you can do MCITP:Exchange and then do MCITP:Server.
    it's true that you will need hands on experience not just reading will help.
    i would like to suggest that you use Hyper-V for your test labs as it will give you some experience on Microsoft Virtualization Technologies as well :)
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Thanks again....is there a specific reason that I should get both the Server and Enterprise cert? I see most of what is covered in the Server exam is covered throughout the Enterprise track? I am self-funding, so if I can save $125...I would like to. What is your opinion? My goal is to be a lead AD/Exchange engineer in the future. I do also need to get a position to gain some more experience.

I will give Hyper V a try...been meaning to try it anyway :)

Thanks
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:57 PM
  • There's no reason to complete bothy the Server and Enterprise MCITP.  Just cojmplete the Enterprise MCITP.  That will give you the broadest education on Server 2008. 

Even completing just the MCTS in Exchange Server 2007 (or 2010 when it comes out) would be of great benefit.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:45 PM
    Answerer
  • hi

please note that the Exchange 2010 Exam has been release. you can take the exam but the offial course is not yet released. you can use Exchane 2010 MS Press book and study for this

Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Thank you Nirmal and Charles.

I noticed the MS Press book for the Exchange 2010 exam (70-662) will not be out until March, so I will begin the MCITP: EA.

thank you all for your help.

Mike
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:05 AM