none
Restore from backup fails: "Access Denied" RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore data from backup.  When I go to the backup in question and try to "Open" it through the "Restore or View Files from Volume C: (OS)", it goes through the process of trying to mount the drive and gets to 100% complete.  However, when it tries to open the actual drive, I get an error message:

"Location is Not Available.
    Z:\ is not accessible.
    Access is Denied"

If I go into the security tab of the mounted drive, there are no permissions assigned to the drive. (meaning the local administrators group has no boxes checked -- no read, no write, etc.)  If I try to assign read-only permissions to the administrator group, I get a series of errors:

"An Error Occurred while applying security information to:

Z:\<file path>\<file name>

The Media is write protected."

over and over, once per file.

I've searched the forums and found a few mentions of the 81% problem -- this doesn't appear to be it since I can completely finish the process and I don't get any errors about the backup service being unavailable.  I just can't see the resulting data.

Any suggestions?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:03 PM

Answers

• Can you submit a bug report on Connect for this? Include log files from both your server and a client having problems, probably the Vista client (since Windows 7 hasn't been released yet)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:21 PM

All replies

• Please make sure you're logged in to your client computer with an administrator account when you try to use the single file restore feature.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I am.  I've tried it on both a Vista machine and a Windows 7 machine.  In each case, I was logged in as a user with full administrative privileges on the machine.

Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Can you submit a bug report on Connect for this? Include log files from both your server and a client having problems, probably the Vista client (since Windows 7 hasn't been released yet)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem.  This is the only post I have found with someone having this exact problem.  I have tried accessing it from 1 Win Xp, 2 Vista , and 2 Win 7 PCs.  All are admin accounts.  No luck viewing the data.  It used to work as I have accessed files from backups in the past.  But some update or service pack/power pack has broken something on the server side.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Has there been any progress with this problem?

I too am experiencing this!

Can't restore files from a backup server!  This needs to be fixed and responded to ASAP!
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Are you using the latest Powerpack 3?
    Have you tried a database repair on your WHS console?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Evaders99 You ROCK!

I did a database repair and it started to work!!!! I am recovering files I thought couldn't get!!!!
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:33 PM
  • No way...  I am having this problem for a new laptop that I need to restore data from the Z: drive and have been fiddling with it for two hours now.  There are basically two folders on the drive.  One called Documents and one called stuff.  When I use View Backups and then Open the drive, I can copy Stuff no problem, but Documents gives Access Denied for every file.  I can browse the directories, but can not open or copy any files.

If the "repair" trick works, I am going to be relieved, but also kinda pissed...
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Guess what.  WHS apparently can't backup third-party encrypted volumes (Credent Mobile Guardian Shield)...  actually, it would appear that only "user" folders like "My Documents" are encrypted.  It's a company computer, but it's at home 99% of the time, and WHS seemed like the best option.  There's one disadvantage of a cluster-based backup vs. file-based.  Guess I'll need to rethink that strategy.  Six months of useless backups.  Comforting.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Guess what.  WHS apparently can't backup third-party encrypted volumes (Credent Mobile Guardian Shield)...  actually, it would appear that only "user" folders like "My Documents" are encrypted.  It's a company computer, but it's at home 99% of the time, and WHS seemed like the best option.  There's one disadvantage of a cluster-based backup vs. file-based.  Guess I'll need to rethink that strategy.  Six months of useless backups.  Comforting.
    Can you please report this on Connect , then post the link back here? The Windows Home Server team may want to take a look at it...

Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:14 AM
  • One moral of story: periodically test your backups to make sure they really are.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:57 AM
  • WHS apparently can't backup third-party encrypted volumes (Credent Mobile Guardian Shield)... 
    Pointsec backs up fine and is a third-party encryption program.  For anyone else who users a third party encryption program then you should check that your backups are readable.  However, I don't think most companies would be happy that you have an unencrypted backup of *their* data outside of the company - backup is something your IT department should be doing.

--
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:25 AM