Can't upload new report to MS CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Got a VPC with MS CRM 4.0 with rollup 12. All the standard reports are working but I get an error as I try to upload a new report. The new report is working from inside visual studio. From the diag tool I'm getting the following error message:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.SRSReport.convertDataSource()
    at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.SRSReport.convertToCRMReport(String origFilter, ExecutionContext context)

Any suggestions?

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can trace the exact error which is getting throw.

For Error Description in Error Log:
    Log on to SQL Server, go to installation folder of SQL Server Reporting Services. Open the latest log file and see the error description.
    EG: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles

Regarding Deployment:
    Do not use Shared Data Source, When you test it from SSRS, use the Report connectionstring.
    And When you deply the report to MS CRM, MS CRM automatically assign the Data Source to the REPORTS [according to your Organisation].

There are plenty of approaches to deploying a report onto CRM.

1. Once the RDL file is created, use CRM Reports area (Workplace > Reports) and give the path to the RDL file.

2. You could also deploy the report on the Report Manager, retrieve it's web address and use CRM's reports area and provide the link to the report.

If you're trying to access the report from on of the client machines, make sure you have the Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services installed. Also the use of localhost in the connection string might be an issue causer. Try using the CRM server name.

Hope it helps!

Thanks, Ranjitsingh R | http://mscrm-developer.blogspot.com/ | MS CRM Consultant
    • Proposed as answer by Ranjitsingh R Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:45 AM

All replies

• Are using a shared connection or embedded?

CRM needs it to be embedded to work.

Rob

www.crmconsult.info Twitter:robertpeledie
    Monday, September 20, 2010 3:52 PM
  • The build in reports use a shared connection and I guess I have to use the same else I have to change the connection string goding from my evelopment server to production server. Have I misunderstood something here?
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

You can trace the exact error which is getting throw.

For Error Description in Error Log:
    Log on to SQL Server, go to installation folder of SQL Server Reporting Services. Open the latest log file and see the error description.
    EG: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles

Regarding Deployment:
    Do not use Shared Data Source, When you test it from SSRS, use the Report connectionstring.
    And When you deply the report to MS CRM, MS CRM automatically assign the Data Source to the REPORTS [according to your Organisation].

There are plenty of approaches to deploying a report onto CRM.

1. Once the RDL file is created, use CRM Reports area (Workplace > Reports) and give the path to the RDL file.

2. You could also deploy the report on the Report Manager, retrieve it's web address and use CRM's reports area and provide the link to the report.

If you're trying to access the report from on of the client machines, make sure you have the Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services installed. Also the use of localhost in the connection string might be an issue causer. Try using the CRM server name.

Hope it helps!

Thanks, Ranjitsingh R | http://mscrm-developer.blogspot.com/ | MS CRM Consultant
    • Proposed as answer by Ranjitsingh R Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:45 AM