Failed validation after upgrade & reinstalation RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using an OEM copy of XP Pro for a couple of years, reloading it several times along the way.  I've always activated the software when asked, and have never had a problem with the geniune advantage tool or obtaining updates.

I've just completed my latest reload, taking advantage to install a new hard disk at the same time, but the genuine advantage tool is now saying that my copy of XP is counterfeit.

Is there a limit to the number of times the software can be installed on the same computer?  I make major changes to the hardware every six months or so, could the system think I'm installing onto different computers?

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:44 AM

Answers

• Phil2440,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

If the mgadiag tool shows your validation status as Not Activated, it's likely a simple Telephonic Activation will solve the problem.

After a certain number of installations, a given product key will be flagged from automatic activation, and subsequent installatons will have to be activated telephonically.

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Dan.

I'm feeling a bit silly right now.  I've realised that the disk I've just installed from is NOT the one I used to build the system originally.  I was conned by a dodgy dealer a couple of years ago and was sold a counterfeit copy.  That disk lay gathering dust at the back of my disk box since then (I don't know why I didn't throw it away at the time).  What's worse is I reckon I have thrown away my valid disk during a fit of efficiency a couple of months ago.  D'oh.

Looks like I'll be making the Vista upgrade earlier than planned!

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:17 PM
  • Hello Phil,

Did you submit a piracy report regarding the non-genuine software? You may still report the incident should you desire. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:36 PM

All replies

• Phil2440,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

If the mgadiag tool shows your validation status as Not Activated, it's likely a simple Telephonic Activation will solve the problem.

After a certain number of installations, a given product key will be flagged from automatic activation, and subsequent installatons will have to be activated telephonically.

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Dan.

I'm feeling a bit silly right now.  I've realised that the disk I've just installed from is NOT the one I used to build the system originally.  I was conned by a dodgy dealer a couple of years ago and was sold a counterfeit copy.  That disk lay gathering dust at the back of my disk box since then (I don't know why I didn't throw it away at the time).  What's worse is I reckon I have thrown away my valid disk during a fit of efficiency a couple of months ago.  D'oh.

Looks like I'll be making the Vista upgrade earlier than planned!

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:17 PM
  • Hello Phil,

Did you submit a piracy report regarding the non-genuine software? You may still report the incident should you desire. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:36 PM