A question about Vista/ motherboard replacement problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I recently purchased a refurbished HP Pavillion A6400F  that came loaded with Vista Home Premium. My problem is that this PC came with a 90 day warranty, which has now passed, and the computer has crashed. I took it to my repair guy, who has made the diagnosis that I need a new motherboard. I was not too happy at having to put money into this computer that I purchased just months ago, but I admit that I took a chance with a refurbished unit. Is it true that I must re-install my OS when I have the board changed? If so, then I have just thrown a lot of money (for a person of my income) away for nothing.
    Thank you.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 5:59 PM

Answers

• Unless you have the motherboard replaced with the same HP motherboard, you'll need to reinstall the Windows Vista operating system using a new "Full Version" of Windows Vista.  The HP OEM version of Windows Vista can only be reinstalled and activated with an HP specified motherboard.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 7:24 PM

All replies

• Unless you have the motherboard replaced with the same HP motherboard, you'll need to reinstall the Windows Vista operating system using a new "Full Version" of Windows Vista.  The HP OEM version of Windows Vista can only be reinstalled and activated with an HP specified motherboard.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Carey:

Thank you very much for the bad news. 

And your quick reply.

r_n
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 10:39 PM
  • XP had no such problems, you need only reinstall Windows to fix the drivers and poof you are back in business. This is why Vista is hated.

Developer / IT / Web http://contract-developer.dyndns.biz
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:50 PM