Chat window does not appear in Communicator 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I have one client out of 30 where no new windows is opened when they doubleclick a contact or try to initiate any sort of conversation with a contact.

There is a small peak in CPU usage (up to 10%) but otherwise there is no indication what so ever that it tries to open a new window.

Everything else works (presence, contacts, etc).

Latest updates are applied.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-- Martin
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:10 PM

All replies

• Any thoughts on this - it's really frustrating not being able to deploy this to this user as we're rolling out OCS company wide.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:51 AM
  • This is probably related to multi-screens or similar. The windows are displayed, but beyond the current resolution.
    This is an annoying problem that can be hard to fix unless you are able to grab the window and move it.
    Try pressing Alt + Space simultaneously, and then M for M ove. Then you should be able to drag the window using arrow keys.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:10 PM
  • by doing more investigation this problem seem like a bug and not a window problem as I first thought.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

Anybody already found a fix for this issue ?

Regards,

Johan
    blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:38 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem, but only a few PC's.  I'm assuming it's some sort of common thread among them, but I have not been able to find it yet.

I've installed the original version of Communicator 2007 R2 ( 3.5.6907.0 ) and even tried the July 2009 patch ( KB969695 ). Still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Not that I'm happy that folks are having this trouble too, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.  Any resolution?

I've been working in another thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/commmunicatorim/thread/e3f00055-2eac-46fb-9173-42cee466a271

Joseph M. Durnal
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:11 PM
  • no there is currently no resolution. In fact, we have users that cannot use communicator in our organization because of this.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:52 AM

• A very confusing problem indeed.  I don't have a very large sample size right now, after deploying my initial pilot group and they had problems, I didn't want to continue with a wide deployment that would require a lot of fixes on a lot of systems. 

The 3 clients that I've verified as not working all happen to be on HP systems, while the ones that work are not.  That could just be because I've only look at 7 systems so far.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the client with no success. I'm having the problem with both 3.5.9607.37 and 3.5.9607.0. 

I've done all kinds of comparisons between working an non-working systems and haven’t been able to find a difference that would seem related to this issue.  I also can't create a system to replicate the problem. 

In the past, the communicator client install has been the easy part of my OCS deployments. 

Joseph M. Durnal

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Yay!  I got it to work!  Well, on one so far, but I'm pretty excited!

Had to install Microsoft XML Parser 3.0 SP7

See the following link: written today:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/scottos/archive/2009/09/25/communicator-2007-r2-fails-to-open-new-window-when-double-clicking-a-contact.aspx

Joseph M. Durnal
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:45 PM