Server backup over the network? RRS feed

• General discussion

• The new server backup feature is very nice.  Kudos for the incremental time/date stamping and especially for speed.  What I would be even nicer would to be able to tell WHS to do daily backups to an E: drive on my desktop PC connected (preferably wired) way at the other end of the house (hopefully a house fire - God forbid, would not irrepairably damage the drives in both my WHS and my desktop).  Even an external drive on my desktop so I don't have to go down into the closet of my basement to connect the backup drive to my WHS, would be better.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:21 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a great product suggestion or even a 3rd party Addin specific for Windows Home Server ...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:34 AM
  • It's a pity the new backup built in to PP1 is so lame, but fortunately you already have all you want available, or at least easily doable. Install some real backup software on your desktop and tell it to back up all your shares to wherever you want on whatever schedule you want and to create full, incremental and differential as is your desire. You could even encrypt it and password protect it too.

It's been working fine for me for sometime now. I was just expecting the new one in PP1 to eliminate the need for additional software and desktop resources.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:27 PM
  •  

Dave, you need to be careful with that approach.  A lot of backup software only recognises the tombstones on WHS and not the files themselves.  In the event of a disaster the backed up tombstones would be useless.

At the moment I prefer to use SyncToy, which allows me to copy the files off the WHS to a backup device.

A solution as suggested by the OP would be welcomed by me.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:33 PM
  • As this is OEM software, the assumption is, that we are technically capable people. As such, there are numerous ways of achieving what is required; now, while an Add-In would be nice, it might limit the possible options for users.

At present, I use SecondCopy, but RoboCopy is also suitable, to copy shared folder changes off the Server to a NAS device which is a couple of hundred miles away each evening. It also copies off the backups each morning, to another NAS which is in my Office at the other end of the garden.

There are people using the Jungledisk product to copy off files, plus IDrive has been mentioned also.

Colin

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:09 PM
  • I'll add Co******ian ******ackup to the list.&n******sp; That is what I use now.&n******sp; ******ut per my suggestion, I would rather use software run on the server itself ******ecause it is always on and more self-contained.&n******sp; It seems the ******ackup included in WHS must share sector images which is nice.&n******sp; Each ******ackup folder appears to have an entire image of all files, ******ut appears to share those images with other previous ******ackup folders ******ased on the space used (or not used), and the speed to do an incremental ******ackup.

&n******sp;

Rich

&n******sp;

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Hi Colin

I wanted to ask you how do you make copies of the backup database of whs to another location using secondcopy.

It would be great if there was a automated mettod for that.

Do you have an automated script for turning off the backup service before copying the database, or is all done manually?

Thanks,

Ric

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:42 PM
  •  R.L.Thomas wrote:

... What I would be even nicer would to be able to tell WHS to do daily backups to an E: drive on my desktop PC connected (preferably wired) way at the other end of the house...

... Even an external drive on my desktop so I don't have to go down into the closet of my basement to connect the backup drive to my WHS, would be better....

and hopefully a Backup to a NAS

if you are a customer using HP's EX47x, the Media Vault (Pro) mv2100, mv5100 NAS boxes would really fit perfectly Wink maybe a new slim (flatten) type for drive-capacity only (hint to direction HP...)

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:32 PM