"System Notifications: Configure Live Mesh Remote Desktop" continues to appear. RRS feed

• Question

• In System Notifications, "Configure Live Mesh Remote Desktop" appears. Clicking on it, (and entering my admin password), results in the popup: "Configured Live Mesh Updates". But the "Configure Live Mesh Remote Desktop" continues to appear.

I tried installing and uninstalling. No help. The problem appeared recently. I am using the Windows 7 beta.

Bill
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:23 PM

Answers

• billrodman said:

In System Notifications, "Configure Live Mesh Remote Desktop" appears. Clicking on it, (and entering my admin password), results in the popup: "Configured Live Mesh Updates". But the "Configure Live Mesh Remote Desktop" continues to appear.

I tried installing and uninstalling. No help. The problem appeared recently. I am using the Windows 7 beta.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Are you logged into an administrator account?  Since you say that you enter your admin password to install the Live Mesh Remote Desktop components, I'm guessing that you're not logged into an admin account, but are providing admin credentials ("over-the-shoulder elevation") while logged into a standard user account.  Is that correct?  Live Mesh does not currently support non-admin installs (even using OTS elevation with admin credentials), and the behavior you're seeing can be caused by having a non-admin install.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:39 PM

All replies

• Please submit a bug with logs per the instructions here:
    Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

And, please post a link back here to the bug on Connect.
    Thanks,
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Thanks, Bill.
    I look forward to reading what the cause of the problem is.
    -steve
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:38 PM
  • billrodman said:

In System Notifications, "Configure Live Mesh Remote Desktop" appears. Clicking on it, (and entering my admin password), results in the popup: "Configured Live Mesh Updates". But the "Configure Live Mesh Remote Desktop" continues to appear.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Are you logged into an administrator account?  Since you say that you enter your admin password to install the Live Mesh Remote Desktop components, I'm guessing that you're not logged into an admin account, but are providing admin credentials ("over-the-shoulder elevation") while logged into a standard user account.  Is that correct?  Live Mesh does not currently support non-admin installs (even using OTS elevation with admin credentials), and the behavior you're seeing can be caused by having a non-admin install.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

... I'm guessing that you're not logged into an admin account, but are providing admin credentials ("over-the-shoulder elevation") while logged into a standard user account.  Is that correct? 

Correct. I changed the account to be an admin account, and the configuration worked correctly! Many thanks.

I then switched the account back to a standard account (I prefer to work this way). Live mesh seems to work for me. I am using it these days mostly to remotely log in to other machines.

I imagine that anytime I need to update/reconfigure, I'll have to temporarily switch the account to admin.

Do you know of other problems I may experience operating this way, besides the update/reconfiguration issue?

Bill
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:48 PM
  • I'm not aware of any issues you would face other than the install issue you encountered, which may then manifest itself on an upgrade in the future.
    -steve
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Thanks for all your help. Over and out!

Bill
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:01 PM