Public IM Fails RRS feed

• Question

• We received notification today that our Public IM connectivity had been fully provisioned, but I am not able to send or receive messages from MSN or Yahoo.  When I try to send a message to my MSN account from Communicator I get the following error in my event log on the client PC (the PC where Communicator is running):

A SIP request made by Communicator failed in an unexpected manner (status code 80ef01f8). More information is contained in the following technical data:

RequestUri: sip:jrrausch@hotmail.com

To: sip:jrrausch@hotmail.com;tag=9DA9372AEFE897879C657FE69D706102

Call-ID: 85c508b660fc4dc9ac3a32307b5193ac

Content-type: application/sdp;call-type=im

v=0

o=- 0 0 IN IP4 192.168.10.196

s=session

c=IN IP4 192.168.10.196

t=0 0

m=message 5060 sip null

a=accept-types:text/rtf application/x-ms-ink image/gif multipart/alternative application/ms-imdn+xml

Response Data:

504 Server time-out

ms-diagnostics: 1011;reason="Ms-Diagnostics header not provided by previous hop";source="clarityocs-edge.claritycon.com";Domain="hotmail.com";PeerServer="federation.messenger.msn.com"

Resolution:

If this error continues to occur, please contact your network administrator. The network administrator can use a tool like winerror.exe from the Windows Resource Kit or lcserror.exe from the Office Communications Server Resource Kit in order to interpret any error codes listed above.

There are no logs on the event log on the server, and I can't find any documentation on how best to trouble-shoot public IM connectivity.

The FQDN of our Access proxy server is: clarityocs-edge.claritycon.com, our SIP server is sip.claritycon.com.  We're running OCS 2007.

Anyone have suggestions/tips for how to determine what the problem is?

Thanks,

jon

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:54 AM

All replies

•  

For starters, do you have a Public Cert on the Edge server.  Also on the edge server did you enable Public IM access.  lastly did you enable public IM access on the user account.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:09 PM
  • I ended up opening a support issue for this and I believe we found the problem.

When filling out the provisioning request, I provided the wrong value for the SIP Domain.  I provided 'sip.claritycon.com' for this field, when it should have been 'claritycon.com'.

We have submitted a request to change the value, but it will be another week before that is applied and we can test it.

Certianly would be helpful if MSN SIP servers returned a more useful error rather than just a timeout...

Thanks,

jon

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:14 PM