How to Deactivate a license on the Windows Home Server so that I can put it on another computer. RRS feed

• Question

• How do I Deactivate a license on the WIndows home server and activate that license on a new computer, we have one that we need to replace and have maxed out our current licenses.

Your help would be most appreciated.

Friday, April 2, 2010 2:38 PM

All replies

• If you're talking about decommisioning a server, you install on the new server. You won't be able to re-use the product key, so you'll have to go through phone activation. Microsoft phone activation has been very understanding about the need to move to new hardware, so even though your installation of Windows Home Server is theoretically tied to the hardware it's on now, they shouldn't give you too much trouble as long as you can reassure them that it will only be running on a single server.

If you're talking about a client computer, remove the computer as a client using the Windows Home Server console. You may then need to run a backup cleanup, but afterward you should be able to join a new computer to your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 2, 2010 5:55 PM