none
Cross-brand thread preview not working? RRS feed

• General discussion

• All the forums I normally use are in the MSDN brand, and I usually view threads using the "preview" mode. This works not only in the forum in question, but also in My Threads.

However, recently I made a post in a Technet brand forum. The thread appeared in My Threads, but I could not expand the (i.e. preview) the thread. I had to open the thread itself in order to read it (or add to it).

Is this behavior by design? If so, why?

[Personally I think all this brand business is very silly...]

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Davewilk,

You can previe the thread in technet brand too.
    Please provide the URL of the thread you not able to preview/expand so that we can look into further.
    SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:31 PM
  • This only happens in My Threads. I am an "MSDN Person" so the TechNet thread in my threads is "foreign". But I do not see why that means it will not expand.

Friday, February 5, 2010 7:15 PM
  • This could certainly be a bug that we'll want to fix as soon as we can. Just to be sure, can you include the forum that has the thread that won't expand when viewing my threads from the msdn brand?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Brent:

This is the thread that will not expand/preview in My Threads

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/1db1b7c9-5c39-420b-bc91-2f95a4f38799
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:12 PM
  • This is certainly a bug. We have a bug on this that was postponed for our Feb release. I'll touch base with our team and Brent about the status of this bug.

Thanks.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:39 PM
  • All the forums I normally use are in the MSDN brand, and I usually view threads using the "preview" mode. This works not only in the forum in question, but also in My Threads.

However, recently I made a post in a Technet brand forum. The thread appeared in My Threads, but I could not expand the (i.e. preview) the thread. I had to open the thread itself in order to read it (or add to it).

Is this behavior by design? If so, why?

[Personally I think all this brand business is very silly...]

It may be useful to know whether "does not expand" means that nothing happens or that it expands  but only some of the expansion occurs.   E.g. what I see, frequently, is just the dropdown icon changing and the buttons (view thread) (close thread) added but the rest of the "thread" omitted.  IOW it looks as if a container is rendered but its content is forgotten.  That is just the most frequent formatting error that I see; I think that I have also had cases where only parts of a thread showed up, e.g. perhaps then without the buttons.  Also, ICIM in my case this would be with the threaded view off and rendered by IE8 on W7.  

BTW I came across this discussion by searching this forum for expand.  And I only became aware of it because of the NNTP bridge finding  search  related forums.   I'm not sure how I figured out that  reportabug  had anything to do with forums.   That looks like a good way to generate lots of off-topic posts, especially once the bridge comes into more use.   OTOH  SearchFeedback  seems to be an even worse collection of O/T posts and it is clear what its subject is, so who knows how this stuff is going to work?  ; ]

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:31 PM
  • The symptom is that the horizontal line beneath the thread drops down as usual, but no "spinning disk" appears, and the thread itself does not appear.

Monday, March 1, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Definitely a bug for Forums. It's been logged and we're looking into the problem. No ETA on a fix. Apologize for the delay and not responding sooner. We've focused on stabilizing Alerts, Points calculation and Activities for this release (March). I'll discuss this bug with our team.
    Forums Test Lead
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Definitely a bug for Forums. It's been logged and we're looking into the problem. No ETA on a fix. Apologize for the delay and not responding sooner. We've focused on stabilizing Alerts, Points calculation and Activities for this release (March). I'll discuss this bug with our team.
    Forums Test Lead

Hi Don,

davewilk pointed me at this thread. I am experiencing exactly the same problem with "My Forums Threads" and I reported it here: My forums threads .

I look forward to seeing this fixed.

-Jamie

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:36 PM