KeyUpdateTool.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I bought the Genuine Advantage Windows XP Pro "package"

I got my email from Microsoft.

Told me to go to a location and download this file KeyUpdateTool.exe

I did.

It scanned my computer

The file dbghelp.dll could not be verified.

I click Yes to continue to update my product key with the new key I got in the email.

Then I got the message:

The application has encountered an error while downloading required files from Microsoft. Please ensure the machine is connected to the Internet and try again [Error: 0x80004005]
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:21 AM

Answers

• Since no staff of Microsoft has answered my question I'll go ahead and answer it myself....

The error is caused by AntiVirus software running on your computer such as Norton, Mcafee, AVG, etc..

What you have to do is uninstall your antivirus program. You cant just disable it.

After you uninstall the antivirus program and run keyupdatetool.exe it will no longer give the error I described in my first post.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 1:54 PM
  • That is an incorrect statement.

Items that act or are related as a firewall must be temporarily disabled for the update process to complete.

Thanks,

-phil

Thursday, October 5, 2006 4:16 PM

All replies

• Since no staff of Microsoft has answered my question I'll go ahead and answer it myself....

The error is caused by AntiVirus software running on your computer such as Norton, Mcafee, AVG, etc..

What you have to do is uninstall your antivirus program. You cant just disable it.

After you uninstall the antivirus program and run keyupdatetool.exe it will no longer give the error I described in my first post.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 1:54 PM
  • Tim:

I'm sorry for the delay in the answer. Your post was made during our team's off work hours, but we definitely work as much as possible to make everyone's experience as smooth as possible.

Thank you for the valuable feedback, it has been noted (on running Key Update Tool) and is being reviewed by our development team.

Thanks again!

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:53 PM
  • Thanks Tim, I have just run into the same problem ...spent most of the day searching for the answer when I came upon your letter quite by accident. it has helped me tremendously.
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 3:09 PM
  • Just discovered I was able to get away with disconecting Norton Internet Security so didn't have to uninstall.

However, I received the error message, but not the info you received regarding the exact file that was causing the problem.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 6:36 PM
  • So now Micro$haft's "fix" forces you to uninstall competitors AntiVirus programs

just as Windows Defender's dawn comes about. Add this to the fact that Micro$haft

isn't releasing Vista APIs to Antivirus companies in time to make a difference and

things get "exciting"...

Thursday, October 5, 2006 1:52 PM
  • That is an incorrect statement.

Items that act or are related as a firewall must be temporarily disabled for the update process to complete.

Thanks,

-phil

Thursday, October 5, 2006 4:16 PM
  •  Tim29 wrote:
    I bought the Genuine Advantage Windows XP Pro "package"

I got my email from Microsoft.

Told me to go to a location and download this file KeyUpdateTool.exe

I did.

It scanned my computer

The file dbghelp.dll could not be verified.

I click Yes to continue to update my product key with the new key I got in the email.

Then I got the message:

The application has encountered an error while downloading required files from Microsoft. Please ensure the machine is connected to the Internet and try again [Error: 0x80004005]
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:31 PM