Files have disappeared on a client RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed WHS on a little home network without a problem.  On one of the client machines, I had normally stored all document on my D: drive.  I just went in and moved (cut/paste) SOME of the files on the D: drive to the server.  Now, when I look at the D: drive in Explorer (or do a DOS DIR on the D: drive) I see NO files.  The D: drive looks completely blank, even though I only moved some of the directories/files.  However, the files are still there--I just can't see them.  Properties on the D: drive shows that roughly 25% of the drive is used, even though Explorer & DOS DIR show no files.  Funny thing--if, while in a DOS window, I do a CD\ to a directory that I didn't move, a DIR WILL show the files.  This is not an issue that the files are hidden--under Folder Options, View I have things set to show hidden and system files.

Does anybody have any idea why my files on D: are no longer visible, or what I might do to return them to the land of the living?

Thanks,
    Ed
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:34 AM

Answers

• Hmm. No logic in this. Sure you didn't misplace the files?

Possibly also a desktop.ini file got misplaced / messed up. Please have a look overhere, it might provide some guidance to resolve your problem.

If you can see the files / folders you can use "DOS" commands to COPY the files to another disk. Please do some reading on DOS commands (command shell) if you're not familiar with this.

[EDIT] use xcopy (type xcopy /? in command shell for help) [edit]

If you can't copy the files using DOS commands you could also try to revert to system restore point  
    • Edited by brubberModerator Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:21 AM see edit notes
    • Marked as answer by Sailwithed Monday, November 3, 2008 10:47 PM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:18 AM