Windows Live OneCare is acting crazy RRS feed

• General discussion

• While I am using the computer, the status on the Windows Live OneCare suddenly changes to red and when I go check it says that my firewall protection isn't on when it really is. This is happening like every 5-10 minutes and it's very very annoying. I would like to know what I can do to resolve this problem.

Friday, November 6, 2009 11:44 PM

All replies

• Try the Firewall repair tool - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecarefirewall/thread/e67b1989-afd5-47e5-a393-3a551c7c7e60/
    If that doesn't work, contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

To resolved the issue try to this steps.

1. Open command prompt (Elevated mode in Windows Vista) and enter the following command lines.

SC QUERY MSFWHLPR

SC QUERY MSFWDRV

SC QUERY MSFWSVC

1. Use the following commands lines to start a stopped OneCare firewall service

Net Start MSFWHLPR

Net Start MSFWDRV

Net Start MSFWSVC

If you receive an error message that states that the Windows Live OneCare firewall service cannot start because dependent services are not started, make sure that the following Windows services are started and set to Automatic. To do this, repeat the following steps for each of these Windows services:
    Open Services.msc
    Make sure that the following Windows services are started and set to Automatic
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Network Location Awareness

Base Filtering Engine (Vista only)

Event Log (Windows Event Log on Vista)

In the list of services in the details pane, double-click the above Windows services, and then make sure that the Startup type is set to Automatic.
    If the Windows services are not started, click Start. If the Start command is unavailable, click Stop, and then click Start to restart the Windows service.
    After you have made sure that all these Windows services are started, start the Windows OneCare firewall service

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:23 PM