Backup drives in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have 4 2tb drives (8TB total storage).  I will call them 1,2,3,4.

1 and 2 are for storage, 3 and 4 are for backups.  I want to backup drive 1 to drive 3 and drive 2 to drive 4.  It is telling me i can only backup my total amount of storage to a single backup drive.  I have followed the 2tb rule for everything.  How i can get this to work?  I have over 2tb worth of total data but thought this would work.  If it doesnt i have no idea what to do and may have to completely revert back to whs 2003.

If this was helpful, please mark as answered
    Blog: AttachedWPF
    AttachedWPF
    Friday, April 22, 2011 12:27 AM

All replies

• You would most likely need to install a RAID controller and setup the 2x2 in a JOBD to that you have 4TB of drive. Or connect a NAS with enough space for backups.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 5:32 AM
  • That wont work because i have already moved everything over in my new configuration.  I basically had to remove 1 hd from my old whs and install the new whs on it on a different machine then copy as much over as i could to remove a second hard drive and move it over, copy as much as i could to be able to remove my last two hard drives.  I have no way of moving these files off again and then back after setting up a raid configuration.  Also if i use any form of raid i wont be able to just pull one of the hard drives out and put it into another computer right?  Are there any add-ins that do a better job of configuring the server backups?

This is pretty rediculous that whs 2003 has a storage/backup solution thats better than whs 2011.  I have no idea what im going to do now and i dont think i will be able to maintain backups of my files anymore.

If this was helpful, please mark as answered
    Blog: AttachedWPF
    AttachedWPF
    Friday, April 22, 2011 12:17 PM