Quick HowTo on configuring WWT for a multi-machine cylindrical display (aka Liquid Galaxy) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Below is a link to a short HowTo I did for setting up Microsoft Worldwide Telescope on a small multi-machine cylindrical/panoramic rig - basically a set of PC with the screens arranged on a curve. This is the same physical setup that we use for a Google Liquid Galaxy rig. http://code.google.com/p/liquid-galaxy/wiki/WWT Hopefully this will help anyone else trying to do something similar. If you have any questions/feedback/etc let me know. Cheers, Andrew eResearch / University of Western Sydney
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:44 PM

Answers

• The name is used for multi-channel full dome calibration. This name will be used to identify the monitors in the calibration screen on the WWT master, and for display on each display/projector during the calibration mode.

Jonathan

PS. The images look great in your link. Most people don't know that the first public display of WWT was in 2007 on a 27 monitor display wall. WWT has been multi-channel enabled since well over a year before we released a public version!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• Once you have the displays set as projector serers (master = "false"), you can change the heading pitch and roll to sen the relative projections of each of the monitors in the cluster.

This differs from the tiled display wall. In a tiled display wall the monitor count > 1, but in a dome or cylidrical projection, each of the counts for x & y are 1, and the x and y= 0 while the heading, pitch, roll, field of view, etc are set to create set of displays that look good from the users eye point AKA the sweet spot.

Jonathan

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:20 AM
  • Hi Jonathan, yes this is exactly what I did.

BTW their is a typo in the config.xml that WWT self-generates. "NodeDiplayName" I assume this should be "NodeDisplayName". I just left this settings blank, what is it used for?

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:30 AM
  • The name is used for multi-channel full dome calibration. This name will be used to identify the monitors in the calibration screen on the WWT master, and for display on each display/projector during the calibration mode.

Jonathan

PS. The images look great in your link. Most people don't know that the first public display of WWT was in 2007 on a 27 monitor display wall. WWT has been multi-channel enabled since well over a year before we released a public version!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Andrew the images you have on link of the setup looks great.  Love to see it in person sometime....dan

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:28 AM