Volume License Activation Issues RRS feed

• Question

• My organization has a volume license for Vista Business edition.  I just recently installed it on my HP laptop, but am having troubles activating it.  The laptop is newer, within the last year, and states it's Vista Compatible.  I head to my Control Panel and then to my System properties menu.  I head to the bottom to where it says Windows Activation and click on Change Product Key to enter the Volume License key, but nothing happens.  Even when I click on the Active Windows now button, nothing happens.  I'm running out of time, 19 days left.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Side Note:
    I installed this exact copy on my desktop and it activated fine.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:29 PM

Answers

• I would recommend contacting your IT Administrator that is maintaining your Volume License Key KMS server or MAK Product key to ensure your laptop is configured properly to access the server.

-phil

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Brock:

Apologies for the delay. I have been out sick and haven't really been able to get back to you (well, not really an excuse but I did need to explain why the delay in response occured).

The original delay in response occured because we were under the assumption you were using a KMS (well before we asked) to activate. However. its documented very clearly on the MS Licensing website (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx) as to how MAK's work (whether through Proxy or Independent activation steps).

The command "slmgr.vbs" essentially runs the same as the "Change Product Key" button in the system control panel  as documented here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb335288.aspx - please scroll about 2/5 the way through to a section labeled Product Key Deployment Considerations).

The "Change Product Key" is a UI wrapper the slmgr.vbs and runs the same (assuming you're logged in as an administrator though). If you had not logged in as Administrator it is possible the box never prompted for a product key/activated due to lower permissions levels.

-phil

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:07 PM

All replies

• I would recommend contacting your IT Administrator that is maintaining your Volume License Key KMS server or MAK Product key to ensure your laptop is configured properly to access the server.

-phil

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:58 PM
  • We don't have a KMS server running.  With my desktop, located at my home so I can work from home, it worked just fine.  I really don't have an IT Admin to contract about this.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:09 PM
  •  

Are you using a MAK key for your Volume activation?

-phil

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Yes, I am using a MAK key for my Volume activation.  When I click the Change License Key button, nothing happens.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:06 AM
  • This is the solution I used to solve my issue.

"At an elevated command prompt, type slmgr.vbs . If you type it without parameters it will give you a help window, showing the parameters. Be patient, it ran slowly for me. What I did was type in slmgr.vbs -ipk your-MAK-activation-key . After a few seconds I got the response that the product key was successfully changed. I then typed in slmgr.vbs -ato and after a few seconds received the message that the product had been activated."      -KarlH

Why didn't a MSFT employee tell me about this days ago when I posted this issue?!  I had to scroll through hundreds of threads, thousands of posts & waste many hours of my valuable time on this issue.  This a very simple process, and something that mods in this topic should be well aware of.  When MSFT tells me on the phone to go to the forums for answers on this issue, I expected the forum mods to know something about Activating Vista, cause that is the topic here, isn't it?

A special thanks to KarlH for this spot on solution to a VERY common issue that should have it's own sticky.

Side Note: To run an elevated command prompt, head to your start menu, and type cmd in the search field at the bottom.  Your Command Prompt will pop up at the top, and you'll have to right-click it and select Run as Administrator.  A new Command Prompt will pop up with Administrator: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe window, meaning you are in an elevated command prompt.

Best of luck to all.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Brock:

Apologies for the delay. I have been out sick and haven't really been able to get back to you (well, not really an excuse but I did need to explain why the delay in response occured).

The original delay in response occured because we were under the assumption you were using a KMS (well before we asked) to activate. However. its documented very clearly on the MS Licensing website (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx) as to how MAK's work (whether through Proxy or Independent activation steps).

The command "slmgr.vbs" essentially runs the same as the "Change Product Key" button in the system control panel  as documented here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb335288.aspx - please scroll about 2/5 the way through to a section labeled Product Key Deployment Considerations).

The "Change Product Key" is a UI wrapper the slmgr.vbs and runs the same (assuming you're logged in as an administrator though). If you had not logged in as Administrator it is possible the box never prompted for a product key/activated due to lower permissions levels.

-phil

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:07 PM