Access is Denied error when reading a backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys. I just rebuilt one of my machines that machines that was being backed up by WHS. I didn't worry to much about storing stuff off because of it being backed up.

Now tonight i go to grab some stuff off of the backup and i'm having issues. For example. I go to view the backup and browse the files. I am unable to access any folder on the backup that is a hidden protected folder for example:
    c:\users\UserName\Application Data\

but i can access

C:\users\UserName\AppData just fine

I can't access the "documents and settings" folder either. Every folder i can't seem to access has a shortcut like arrow superimposed over the folder. Of course i have tried to change the owner to me but it tells me its write protected. Can anyone please explain to me whats going on.

thanks,
    Ncage
    Friday, November 28, 2008 4:14 AM

All replies

• Ok i've been playing around with it and its REALLY REALLY wierd. When i asked the windows home server console to open my backup it created a Z drive on my computer where i could access my backup files. When like i said in my previous post i was getting an "access denied" error. So i was like what they heck i will just try to copy the folders i want from the z drive to a temporary folder i created on my c drive. It actually worked so i was a little excited until i started inspecting the contents of the folder. It was EXACTLY what was on my C drive. I guess that where the shortcut icon comes in. Where is the original folders from my computer that i backed up? Why would it intermix folders of your current drive? This seems QUITE confusing. Please someone help me out here.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 4:53 AM
  • ncage said:

Hey guys. I just rebuilt one of my machines that machines that was being backed up by WHS. I didn't worry to much about storing stuff off because of it being backed up.

Now tonight i go to grab some stuff off of the backup and i'm having issues. For example. I go to view the backup and browse the files. I am unable to access any folder on the backup that is a hidden protected folder for example:
    c:\users\UserName\Application Data\

but i can access

C:\users\UserName\AppData just fine

I can't access the "documents and settings" folder either. Every folder i can't seem to access has a shortcut like arrow superimposed over the folder. Of course i have tried to change the owner to me but it tells me its write protected. Can anyone please explain to me whats going on.

thanks,
    Ncage

Hi,

You're running Vista right?  This is by design.

Please see this post for information regarding how these folders/reparse points work in Vista. The reply by Bondi Beach is the answer you are looking for.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, November 28, 2008 4:57 AM
  • I think the link Lara meant to post is this one. The post by Bondi Beach is extremely informative if you're used to where/how things are stored under Windows XP, and are migrating to Vista. And take to heart the warnings by others about messing with permissions in this area. I tried that in a lab environment (sometimes the only way to figure out how something works it to break it severely...); it turns out that it's even easier to end up with completely inacessible folders and files than under XP.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 28, 2008 3:06 PM