MP3 header data corruption RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I've got this annoying data corruption issue with MP3 and WMV files.  All my music is stored on my WHS music share (upto date with windows update, PP3, etc).  Yet the "Artist" tag keeps on getting corrupted.  This is the only tag field that gets corrupted.  Some music files are also getting corrupted but seem to be fixed using MP3VAL or similar. 

I have ensured that all PCs accessing the share have read only access to the share.  Also I have tried correcting the file with MPlayer, MPTAGTHAT to name a couple, the corruption reappears after a few hours.  I have tried turning duplication off and correcting with no sucess.

I access my WHS through RDP and my network is "200Mbps Powerline" based with PC clients runnin 7 home premium.

Any ideas please?  Or if more detail is needed, please let me know.

Thanks, Dansta

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:15 PM

All replies

• Remote Desktop access is not supported, so any wrong use can lead to unexpected issues here.

How do you access the files - from the UNC path of the share or locally on the server via D:\shares? Since the later interacts with tombstones instead of with real files, this could lead to issues. Also any 3rd party software, which is not aware about how WHS stores the data and attempts i.e. to access the files via \\server\d$\shares could cause such misbehavior. (Or any 3rd party software at all?)

I have never seen such issues on my Music share.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:29 AM