Where do I find a MIME expert? RRS feed

• Question

• A particular HTML mail message will not display inline in the mail client but rather shows as an attachment. I feel sure it's because the message fails to comply with some basic MIME standard, but I lack the knowledge to establish this. Can anyone recommend a suitable forum? Please don't suggest the mail client forum - that's where I come from, and no-one there has a clue.
    Noel
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:22 PM

Answers

• Check http://www.ietf.org/list/discussion.html. Before you ask, I suggest you to dig the maillist archive first, and then ask in the genegeal maillist to see where you should post. I do not see an active group for mime, only smime is there.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, July 12, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Because MIME is not a Microsoft product, it is unlikely MIME experts will be interested in patrolling Microsoft forums for general MIME questions. Forums for Microsoft products are flooded with questions that are not MIME-specific. 

IETF no longer accept suggestions to change the MIME spec, but the MIME working group remains for interpretation questions and ambiguities from developers. If IETF's WG is too technical for you, you can try the comp.mail.mime newsgroup. I am not sure how many people are still subscribing the newsgroup, but it has a lot of FAQs that may help you.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:43 PM

All replies

• Check http://www.ietf.org/list/discussion.html. Before you ask, I suggest you to dig the maillist archive first, and then ask in the genegeal maillist to see where you should post. I do not see an active group for mime, only smime is there.

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, July 12, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Thanks very much. The site looks pretty daunting to an outsider, and finding an appropriate forum to post in is fraught with difficulty for one who's not au fait with the jargon. Still, I'll mooch around and see how I get on.

It's a bit surprising that with so much MS effort involved in communications and messaging - Exchange Server, CDO, mail clients, webmail, messaging development and so on - there is no forum to discuss what must be a lot of MIME-related questions going around in those fields alone, quite apart from all the browser and web development stuff.  

Noel
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Because MIME is not a Microsoft product, it is unlikely MIME experts will be interested in patrolling Microsoft forums for general MIME questions. Forums for Microsoft products are flooded with questions that are not MIME-specific. 

IETF no longer accept suggestions to change the MIME spec, but the MIME working group remains for interpretation questions and ambiguities from developers. If IETF's WG is too technical for you, you can try the comp.mail.mime newsgroup. I am not sure how many people are still subscribing the newsgroup, but it has a lot of FAQs that may help you.

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:43 PM