Backup Hangs/Freezes Client PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all -

I have been with problem free with WHS for some time.  Unfortunately, for no apparent reason to me, the backups on one of my Vista PC's started to hang around the 54% mark. It subsequently locks up my PC requring me to kill the power.  It backs up the first partition fine, but hangs on the second.  I have checked the logs through toolkit on the server and the only thing I see is that the connection was lost with the client.  I don't see anything on the client side that makes sense to me.   I have run chkdsk /f/r on the client and followed the repair database steps on the server side.  The only possible cause for this is a power failure that struck.  This PC does not currently have an UPS attached to it. 

I ran into a similar problem several months ago and it forced me to do an entire re-install of the OS on the client.  I certainly don't think I am there as everything else on the client is running great.  If memory serves, my next step would be to delete all of the backups on the server and try the backup on the client again.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Mike
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 12:13 PM

Answers

• Olaf -

Chkdsk did find damaged sectors, but even after running I had the same problems.

I decided to simply go back and restore the PC to before I started having the problem...and voila.  Problem solved.  I have been with WHS since Beta and this was the first time I actually restored a computer with it.  I was sold before, I am even more sold now.  I am pretty sure that my power problem caused some corruption on my drive.  I was using at the time.  Thankfully WHS saved my bacon.

Thanks for your help!

Mike
    • Marked as answer by mnlang Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:25 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    please check the event log on the client, if there are any error messages around the time you are performing your backup.
    It may also help, to run
    chkdsk /f /r
    for the volume, on which the backup fails.
    Another workaround may be, to copy all files and folders on that partition to another location and delete/recreate the volume.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 12:23 PM
  • Olaf -

Thanks.  I have checked the event log on the client and I don't see anything.  The log shows the backup starting, but then that's it.  I have also already run chkdsk which did not help the backup.

The partition that is failing has my OS.  I really don't want to reinstall it. 

Thanks,

Mike
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    hm, no VSS errors, nothing?
    Did chkdsk discover any damaged sectors?
    Does backup run through, if you exclude this partition via console?
    If yes, there is an issue with your system partition or maybe some 3rd party software.
    If the issue started recently and you still have good backups of that system, you also could try a System Restore.

Can you eventually try to attach this disk to another PC as secondary drive, back it up via that machine, and if succeeding, delete and recreate the partition?
    If you do also not succeed that way the other option maybe to perform a complete system backup either within the OS itself (if it is Ultimate) or via 3rd party tools.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Olaf -

Chkdsk did find damaged sectors, but even after running I had the same problems.

I decided to simply go back and restore the PC to before I started having the problem...and voila.  Problem solved.  I have been with WHS since Beta and this was the first time I actually restored a computer with it.  I was sold before, I am even more sold now.  I am pretty sure that my power problem caused some corruption on my drive.  I was using at the time.  Thankfully WHS saved my bacon.

Thanks for your help!

Mike
    • Marked as answer by mnlang Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:25 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:25 PM