Server reinstallation with new mother board RRS feed

• Question

• The mother board WHS was running is found dead this morning. I am in the process for getting a new mother board. I am sure that the new mother board will not not the same as the old one. Is below server reinstallatio nprocedure correct? Will there any possible data loss?

1. Install the new mobo
    2. Connect all hard disks
    3. Boot from WHS installatio nDVD
    4. Choose server reinstallation

I was using three silicon graphics 3114 chip based PCI SATA HDD controller. Will server reinstallation be able to find the all HDDs correctly?

Thanks in advance! 

Friday, March 27, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• There are a couple of potential caveats. You will need to supply drivers for your SATA HBAs if they are running in SATA or AHCI mode. If your system disk is running in SATA or AHCI mode, you will need to supply drivers twice: the first time will be at the hardware discovery screen in the initial graphical setup phase, and the second time will be just after rebooting the first time, at the "Press F6" prompt just after the reboot. I would recommend configuring all your HBAs to use IDE mode for your SATA drives; you give up a small amount of theoretical performance (other systems will mask any actual losses) and you'll be able to install using the IDE drivers that Windows Home Server includes.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 27, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. After several hours of investigation. It turns out that the mobo is not dead. INstead, I have got two HDDs died. One is system disk and the other was in the shared disk pool. Now, I am sure I need to reinstall WHS. Just to make sure that I don't take wrong steps and make sure that the dat aloss is the minimum. Here is I am going to do.

1) Disconnect all HDDs. 
    2) Use new HDD for WHS installation.
    3) After the installation, I then connect all remaining HDDs. I then copy what ever left in the disk to the new shared drive pool.

I have most important files off-line backed up. I only have to re-rip all those media files and it will take time. I know that.
    I wonder how much data I can recover from this process.

Two HDDs die at the same time is not usual. I am using UPS and the system was running about a year and half and had almost no problem.
    I suspect that it is the PSU and I have replaced the PSU. 
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Hi,
    the FAQ How to recover data after server failure describes your options to access the data from the former shared folders.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Dcdyd Friday, March 27, 2009 10:14 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    the FAQ How to recover data after server failure describes your options to access the data from the former shared folders.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thanks for the description. 
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:14 PM