Changing Boot Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to change my boot drive. What do I need to do besides, reinstalling on the new HD?

The concern is that the 500G boot drive is partitioned by WHS to a small system and the rest is used for what seems to be storage. When I change the drive, will there be an issue with files on that drive?
    /krc
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,
    this depends from your disk configuration. How many disks do you have in your system?
    Why do you want to change your boot drive and not simply attach the new disk and add it to the WHS storage pool?

Windows Home Server setup offers a new installation and a server reinstall.
    If you remove (physically disconnect) the original disk while performing a server reinstall (and attach the new disk to the same port) your data on the other disks may still be there.
    If there are shared folders stored on the disk, they may be gone. The same may also happen for the backups of your clients.

If you get no server reinstall offered (or the original disk was the only one), you should disconnect all disks besides the new system disk. Later you find the files on the disks in the hidden folder DE\shares.
    (Or perform a new installation only after copying all files from shared folders to another PC.)

About partitioning - it is normal, that WHS is using a small partition for the OS and the remaining disk space for drive D:.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,
    this depends from your disk configuration. How many disks do you have in your system?
    Why do you want to change your boot drive and not simply attach the new disk and add it to the WHS storage pool?

Windows Home Server setup offers a new installation and a server reinstall.
    If you remove (physically disconnect) the original disk while performing a server reinstall (and attach the new disk to the same port) your data on the other disks may still be there.
    If there are shared folders stored on the disk, they may be gone. The same may also happen for the backups of your clients.

If you get no server reinstall offered (or the original disk was the only one), you should disconnect all disks besides the new system disk. Later you find the files on the disks in the hidden folder DE\shares.
    (Or perform a new installation only after copying all files from shared folders to another PC.)

About partitioning - it is normal, that WHS is using a small partition for the OS and the remaining disk space for drive D:.

Olaf
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Olaf

Great questions, sorry for the lack of detail. I have a configuration of;

2 x PATA - 1 is Boot
    6 x SATA - 1 DVD & 5 Drives
    4 x SATA - 1 Drives
    4 x SATA - 3 Drives

What I want to do is move off of the PATA 500G and put in two 500G SATA in a Raid-1 confiuration to prevent ever loosing the boot drive.

I am going to try to move 2 drives off of the 6xSATA and on to the 4XSATA. The 6XSATA has RAID capabilities. I have ordered 2 500G SATA Hitachi Drives to put into the RAID1/BOOT and  a 1TB (this one for more Storage).

It seems that PATA drives are becoming scares and want to take the pain now, and have the 1-1 redundancy on the boot, and then let WHS do the rest.

I will try leaving the orginal boot in the server and tell it to load to the new RAID1 Drive, and see if it likes it?

/krc
    • Edited by KevinCossaboon Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:52 PM clearity
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Hi Kevin,
    you know, that RAID on WHS is an definitively unsupported scenario? And even RAID does not protect against file corruption, since broken files also get mirrored. Only in case of a total disk fault it makes some sense.

You also will need appropriate mass storage drivers and a lot of luck.
    The setup program will not offer a server reinstall, if the new volume is not recognized as primary volume.
    It may happen also sometimes, if it is recognized in the correct position.

In worst case (no server reinstall offered) you could disconnect all other drives, install WHS on the new system disk, apply all updates and connect the drives one after the other.
    Copy the files from the hidden DE\shares folder on each drive to the new created shared folders and add the disk after finishing to copy all files from it to the storage pool. (Sounds like a lot of work, anyway.)

Maybe it will be necessary adjust the Bios to boot from the proper disk after attaching all drives again.
    Olaf

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Olaf

You make some great points. My issue is that there is no way to 'back up' the WHS main disk, and the PATA will go bad, eventually.

I will need to do some reading, but if on a WHS with multiple disks, a boot disk fails (total), I thought there was a resteration procedure, if not more the reason for the RAID1.

The fact it is non-supported, not sure what I loose? If I have a single disk and it starts to have file corruption, I am in the same place as RAID1, if I have a single disk and the drive FAILS, I am OK. 

The current server needs the mass storage drivers now, for the SATA Cards, and it is NOT fun building it, as you load the same driver twice.... now I will need three.

I would perfer to not use any RAID. The reason to go to WHS was the EXCELLENT way it replicates without RAID, and the power that brings. The issue is that boot drive. If it failed tonight, I would need to spend hours getting the server back up, and I might not have the time right now, but will need the files.

I am hoping that in the near future that there is a 'backup boot' option, and the Server Build has the option to load it.

I am assuming there is no 'supported' backup schema for the boot disk. I would look at buying one if there was, at the moment this seems to be the best.

I will need to investigate the BOOT DISK Failure and Resteration Procedure.

thanks again for the help, and if you have more ideas let me know, hate to have 500G sitting un used in a RAID1 configuration, the MHS method of data replication is much better.

/krc
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:57 PM