none
Edits I have made not being shown. RRS feed

• Question

• Make an Edit to a post just after writing it. The thread is returned without the post being edited.

Try all kinds of things like revisiting the forum / revising the thread etc. and the post still doesn't show the edit.

Re-do the edit and sometimes it now shows up with *two* comments on why edited, but still only the latest edit not the first one. Sometimes the new edit doesn't show up either nor any of the edit comments.

I'll bet you are going to say cache. But this didn't use to happen and I'm using the same PCs setup the same way ...
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:37 PM

Answers

• AlexBB said:

And why in the world did you do it? What is wrong with editing my own post without having a reply posted? And people have second thoughts. Just recently I closed a post with some rotation matrix example and 15 min later going down the memory lane I realized that I mislabeled the rotation angle. I called it "x" along with the "x" coordinate. I went back and had to do it three times before the change took effect. This is ludicrous. Why do you waste out time?

I MAKE NUMEROUS MISTAKES BUT I ALWAYS TRY TO COME BACK AND CORRECT THEM.

AlexB

I think you misinterpreted what was being said. There is no restriction on Edit's. We just eased up on when an "Edit Reason" is required to be entered.

Secondly, I believe the root problem that edits seemingly randomly work has been fixed as well. The actual edits always went through to the DB, the bug was a problem with not expiring composite item from cache which would make the thread page appear to have not been edited. If you happen to experience this, you should be able to confirm the edit by going to the Forum page and previewing the thread.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike-

I see the same thing happening with my changes.  I'll bring it up to the team and get back to you.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 8:23 AM
  • I think we made a change recently that if you were to edit your own post without there being a reply and you haven't provided a reason, then we don't show an edit note. Lots of people were complaining about fixing a spelling mistake right after posting and having an edit note show.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, December 1, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

Make an Edit to a post just after writing it. The thread is returned without the post being edited.

Try all kinds of things like revisiting the forum / revising the thread etc. and the post still doesn't show the edit.

Re-do the edit and sometimes it now shows up with *two* comments on why edited, but still only the latest edit not the first one. Sometimes the new edit doesn't show up either nor any of the edit comments.

I'll bet you are going to say cache. But this didn't use to happen and I'm using the same PCs setup the same way ...

Hi Mike-

Can you try this again.  I see edits now on posts I submit and on posts I edit of others.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Alicia,

I haven't noticed this in the last couple of days.

However the SharePoint forums are in both the social.msdn set of forums and the social.technet set of forums so I can't exclude that this hasn't been happening because I've been using a machine that is set to use the technet set of forums ...

But it's probably OK.

---------------------

Replying to Matt.

All edits (and, yes, I do spelling etc. corrections right after posting too) should be marked. For consistency if nothing else. Otherwise there's the question of when is the cut-off time etc. I don't feel embarassed by writing spelling or grammar as a reason for an edit.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:40 AM
  • mattfras said:

I think we made a change recently that if you were to edit your own post without there being a reply and you haven't provided a reason, then we don't show an edit note. Lots of people were complaining about fixing a spelling mistake right after posting and having an edit note show.

Matt

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer

And why in the world did you do it? What is wrong with editing my own post without having a reply posted? And people have second thoughts. Just recently I closed a post with some rotation matrix example and 15 min later going down the memory lane I realized that I mislabeled the rotation angle. I called it "x" along with the "x" coordinate. I went back and had to do it three times before the change took effect. This is ludicrous. Why do you waste out time?

AlexB
    Friday, December 5, 2008 10:17 PM
  • Take it easy.

You'll find that you will be able to achieve more if you calmly state your arguments.

Mike Walsh (Moderator - not Microsoft and thus not a member of the forum software team)

P.S. Your next post went over the line and I have deleted it. Talking about "gestapo tactics" and saying people "have no brains" is just not done.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:12 AM
  • AlexBB said:

AlexB

I think you misinterpreted what was being said. There is no restriction on Edit's. We just eased up on when an "Edit Reason" is required to be entered.

Secondly, I believe the root problem that edits seemingly randomly work has been fixed as well. The actual edits always went through to the DB, the bug was a problem with not expiring composite item from cache which would make the thread page appear to have not been edited. If you happen to experience this, you should be able to confirm the edit by going to the Forum page and previewing the thread.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  I believe the root problem that edits seemingly randomly work has been fixed as well

I've noticed that. Thanks.

AlexB
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

AlexBB said:

I believe the root problem that edits seemingly randomly work has been fixed as well

I've noticed that. Thanks.

AlexB

I've only just started using the new forums interfaces (the forums I frequent were migrated in the last few days), but I have noticed this issue occurring yesterday.

See for example my two posts in the following thread - http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/fff3b2a6-9abf-49e5-9a7b-ba8e9d09303b which occurred before I figured out it was only a cache invalidation issue.

Hope it helps,

Christopher Fairbairn

Visit my blog at http://www.christec.co.nz/blog/
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 11:22 AM
  •  Christopher, you hit the point. I was about to post here again. They appear to have improved it but not eliminated it completely. I've noticed it as well a few times although overall it is not as bad as it ued to be. Also yesterday I had an occasion when I had to delete my post I could not correct and post the corrected one. Also the demon appears to be creeping back slowly but surely. It is getting more frequent.
    AlexB
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:52 PM