Console failure on login 'This computer has lost connection to your home server...' RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning,

Have an issue with a WHS that was showing a drive failure in the error reporting.  I do not know if it is the OS drive, or part of the shared folders.  Attempting to log in via the console connect, I receive that message that I have lost connection to my WHS. 

is there another way like booting the server into a safe mode where I may have a better chance of accessing the machine.  I can certainly RDP in if needed, though I am aware of the liability to damaging the system by making changes behind the WHS console.

Suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.  I have been doing this (read: computer hardware and software) for a while.  I consider myself quite technical, but after a successful reboot of the WHS, and seeing random errors ('Problem with backup', 'Hard Disk failure') and not being able to get into the console, I feel its better to ask those with more knowledge than I with regard to some direction in this problem.

Again, the machine boots up fine.  My shares from client nodes on the network all reach the shared folders and I can retrieve data.  However, there have been random (in this case) music files that will fail to play or copy over to a local machine, which tells me that the HDD failure is most likely in the shared disk pool.  I have no problem getting the drive replaced and rebuilt into the environment, but I know that I will need to verify hardware through the console before proceeding.  Why I am not able to console in is new.  I have my MPP WHS image files here, but before looking into a 'repair' option of copying down the WHS OS files again, I am hoping there is another way to force the console open.

Thank you again for your time,

-Andrew

Monday, June 28, 2010 3:25 PM

All replies

• after around 20 attempts at connecting, both through the web interface and the console link on one of the computer nodes, I was able to get the WHS console to come up.

I can see the drive that has failed and is 'missing', is there anywhere I am able to look at see what data was balanced across this drive, if its not available in the pool?

thank you again for any direction and help.

-Andrew

**edit**

what kind of format are these drives in?  if i pull the bad drive from the system, am I then able to at least attempt any sort of data recovery on the drive with 3rd party tools?  (is this just another NTFS partitioned drive?)

thank you again

-Andrew

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:00 PM
  • In general, when you have this sort of issue with your server, you will want to check all your drives for errors.

Given that you've managed to get into the console and see that there's a "missing" drive, the source of your issue is almost certainly a failed drive. Microsoft doesn't provide a way to determine what's actually on the failed drive, other than by removing the drive from the storage pool and accepting any warnings about data loss that you might see. Afterward, you can check and see what has disappeared, and (if you're warned about the loss of backups) you can repair the backup database and run a cleanup.

To learn a bit more about your exposure with a single drive failure, take a look at this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Ken, as always I certainly appreciate you getting back to me on this.  I will pull the drive, and replace it with something more homogeneous to the system (another seagate 1.5TB)

the question asked is then this:

once that drive has been pulled out, is it just another NTFS drive that I am able to at least attempt to mount it via another fashion and attempt getting any data on it that may still be on there?

I have noticed that when I go through my shares, most things work, but I do have some files or folders that say they are there, the file size and date shows its there, but I cannot move or copy it or anything.  Is this anything to do with the 'tombstones' you talk about?  The file is showing its part of the shared folders, but due to the drive being dead, that particular file is most likely ON that disk, and therefore unaccessable?

and when you talk about doing a 'cleanup', once the new drive is in place, is there a way for me to 'rebuild' the WHS, so that all those files that I can 'see' would be removed so I can then verify what is missing and what is still there?

Thank you again for your time.

-Andrew

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:50 PM
  • The WHS cleanup utility will clean up those broken tombstones. Also, WHS's normal disk removal process will check that too (that's one of the reasons why it takes so long)
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Again, I appreciate the feedback and information.

can SOMEONE please answer what KIND of file format the drive is in, so when I do pull it out, I know whether there is any way for me to work with 3rd party data recovery to salvage any information that is ON that drive.

thank you again for your time,

-Andrew

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:38 PM
  • NTFS - your data is in the hidden DE folder
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:16 PM