"Set Regarding" in outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have CRM 4.0 and outlook 2010. I need to force users to set regarding to when they track their emails in CRM using outlook2010. right now "Set Regarding" is not a required field and users can skip that which will cause lot of problems in my reports. any idea?

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Edwin,

In CRM2011 there is a setting called 'OverrideTrackInCrmBehaviour' that replaces the Track button with the Set regarding button    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2691237)

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a corresponding setting for CRM4.

You may need use an advanced find to report on the activities that have no regarding object set and deal with it that way.

You could create a more sophisticated solution using a workflow that notifies someone if they've not set the regarding field - or even make a plugin that automatically sets the regarding field based on the to/from/attendees if possible.

hth

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:23 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Edwin,

In CRM2011 there is a setting called 'OverrideTrackInCrmBehaviour' that replaces the Track button with the Set regarding button    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2691237)

You may need use an advanced find to report on the activities that have no regarding object set and deal with it that way.

You could create a more sophisticated solution using a workflow that notifies someone if they've not set the regarding field - or even make a plugin that automatically sets the regarding field based on the to/from/attendees if possible.

hth

Scott Durow
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:23 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Scott,

Actually the workflow idea is very good but I prefere something that actually prevents the issue. We are going to do a test upgrade to 2011 next week  and I'll try the "OverrideTrackInCrmBehaviour" solution.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:28 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Should I run this for every client? I ran it on the server but I don't see any changes on the clients. I used the retrieve parameter and saw that the override option is now 1. My clients are all windows xp and I cannot run this tool on them because it needs Windows Identity Foundation 3.5 which is not supported by XP.

I found that I only need to run it once on any machine. so that time that i ran it on server it worked but now I have another issue. I have a VM that has win7 on it and the OverrideTrackInCrmBehaviour works on it, but on winXP machine it doesn't work. on windowsXP when I click on the Track in button, it does the same thing like before and doesn't open the lookup window.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hi Edwin,

hth

Scott Durow

Hi Scott,

Should I run this for every client? I ran it on the server but I don't see any changes on the clients. I used the retrieve parameter and saw that the override option is now 1. My clients are all windows xp and I cannot run this tool on them because it needs Windows Identity Foundation 3.5 which is not supported by XP.

I found that I only need to run it once on any machine. so that time that i ran it on server it worked but now I have another issue. I have a VM that has win7 on it and the OverrideTrackInCrmBehaviour works on it, but on winXP machine it doesn't work. on windowsXP when I click on the Track in button, it does the same thing like before and doesn't open the lookup window.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:34 AM