off topic - adware RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I have recently started getting Adware.  At least I guess that's what it is.  I have DSL, so I'm always connected, but I'll not even be logged in and in another room when I'll all of the sudden hear "Congratulations, you have been selected to win....."  I can't check emails or even do anything in word or excel with out fighting off ads from sites like "findstuff.com" or "Outerinfo".  Also I'm experiencing icons on my desktop that I didn't put there.  When I got home from Church today I had 16 internet explorers opened to various ads.  Most of the time they are ads for various products, but there has been one with topless pictures on it.  This is a family computer and I'm afraid to even let my children come in here and type, not to mention get online.  What kind of antivirus do I need.  My firewall and popup blocker that came with my windows software is on, but it's not helping at all.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 12:52 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

What you describe does sound like some sort of spyware infection. Your pop up blocker is not working because the popups are eminating from your actual pc and not from a website. Although when you visit sites the spy/adware will typcially bombard you and it is a nuisance, especially as you describe when it puts mature content in your face, it really is no good. Your browser is probaly Hijacked by the malicious software too.

In your post you didn't say if you use Windows Live One Care? If so is it the beta 2.0 that you use?

If you do use Windows Live OC then i suggest you do a full scan of your system and see what it says first then report here.

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:05 AM
  • Since you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:01 PM