none
Display issue when Previewing posts RRS feed

• Question

• If you have a look at this thread,  Jonathan's post, and the links and fonts thereupon, look dandy.

If you preview the same thread in the Database Engine forums, you get the raw HTML output.

I'm using IE7 on Vista Ultimate.  This one isn't life or death - just thought I'd report it so it is logged.
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogpot.com
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the report. It happens because of invalid html in one of the posts, and IE doesn't want to render it when dynamically loaded into the preview div. The first reply to the post has two LI tags with no enclosing UL. A moderator or admin will need to edit the post and correct the html. I'll talk to someone tomorrow and see if we can get it resolved.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Hi There-

This post is fixed and previews just fine now.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:55 AM
  • 1) Unfortunately I didn't note the thread that was showing me problems, since I thought the problem was systemic. It was in this forum though, so I'll find it.
    2) Each forum has a "default brand" . This forum is shown on all of our brands, but Expression is its default and so it sends out alerts as Expression.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:24 PM

All replies

• I just noticed the same thing with preview on another post. It's strange that it does it on some, but not all, posts... definitely get looked into on monday.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Thanks, Matt!  Let us know how it goes.
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogpot.com
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Thanks for the report. It happens because of invalid html in one of the posts, and IE doesn't want to render it when dynamically loaded into the preview div. The first reply to the post has two LI tags with no enclosing UL. A moderator or admin will need to edit the post and correct the html. I'll talk to someone tomorrow and see if we can get it resolved.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Hi There-

This post is fixed and previews just fine now.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Thanks for fixing the post, but to be clear, the thread I posted isn't the only one that I've seen with the problem.  It looks like Matt Fraser has seen a few as well (see his post above).  I think that whatever is causing the invalid HTML to be generated in the first place needs to be isolated.  Would it help if I posted back every time I see a thread that exhibits this behaviour?  I'm a moderator in the SQL forums, so if it were just an issue of fixing a one-off, I'd be glad to do it.  I don't think it's an isolated issue though.

As an aside, does anyone know why the alert link I was sent brought me to the "Expression" skinned version of this forum?  It's purdy, but it made me do a bit of a double-take.

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/thread/09daf744-eb73-4cdc-b741-4acc2382880b/

Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:00 AM
  • 1) Unfortunately I didn't note the thread that was showing me problems, since I thought the problem was systemic. It was in this forum though, so I'll find it.
    2) Each forum has a "default brand" . This forum is shown on all of our brands, but Expression is its default and so it sends out alerts as Expression.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:24 PM