OneCare Installation Issues on 64-bit Vista OS ERROR: 0018-80070643 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My parents recently purchased a new HP desktop with Vista 64-bit OS on it.  I purchased Microsoft Windows OneCare for use on my personal (new) computer which is also an HP desktop with Vista 64 bit.  I successfully installed and activated OneCare on my 64 bit computer AND my 32 bit laptop (Vista) with NO problems.  I then try to install OneCare on my parents brand new computer and find out that it wont install.

I keep getting the error id: 0018-80070643 which i now know is a generic installer issue.

I have followed the guidance threads here to a 't' and am at a loss as to how/why a program will successfully install on one 64 bit computer using Vista (5 months old) and fails to even initiate the install on a brand new, out of the box computer of the SAME make.

I have followed the instructions posted on here and in the sticky thread to try and mitigate the problem, but nothing has worked.
    I am running NO third-party software, the installer program IS active, i installed the XML parser program, and also started the computer up in selective startup mode.

Any assistance you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.  I am baffled as to why the program chose not to install on one 64-bit computer and not the other.

Thanks!
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

All replies