can i use my copy of windows 7 on a replacement hd RRS feed

• Question

• Hi my pc crashed big time on boot up black screen,went into bios all drives parenthesis need to replace hd. My question is will i be able to use my legit copy of win 7 on the new hd thanks
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 3:14 PM

Answers

• Yes.

For a retail upgrade copy, see Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media.

If you have an OEM version and have no recovery disks or Microsoft OEM installation disk you will need to contact your system manufacturer.

You may need to use telephone activation.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:44 PM
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 4:09 PM

All replies

• "bigbill13" wrote in message news:09ef3b58-9c58-4e55-914f-dca75ab9a268...
    Hi my pc crashed big time on boot up black screen,went into bios all drives parenthesis need to replace hd. My question is will i be able to use my legit copy of win 7 on the new hd thanks

I see nothing in there that points to needing a clean install - except possibly some indications that the BIOS can't see the Hard drives. Please give more details!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Many thanhs for your reply, what happend was went to boot pcas normal it went ti load screen and then to black with cursor  working. I pressed reset on it and went into  bios all was ok till i got to boot sequence ,all the drives are disabled thereis a message about them beinging parenthesis which i think means the brackets round them. Tried to boot in safe mode and other ways including from dvd all ways in looked out.

PC SPEC.

ASROCK N68PV_GS MB

AMD PHENON QUAD CORE

SAMSUNG 1TB HD

WINDOWS7 HOME PREMIUM.

This pc was built for me thats all i can rember hope it helps

many thanks bigbill13

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:29 AM
  • many thanks for yourrepy my copy is retail so i should be ok

Thanks again bigbill13

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:31 AM
  • "bigbill13" wrote in message news:d9066e7a-cd17-4704-b365-8d3dbfc68290...

Many thanhs for your reply, what happend was went to boot pcas normal it went ti load screen and then to black with cursor  working. I pressed reset on it and went into  bios all was ok till i got to boot sequence ,all the drives are disabled thereis a message about them beinging parenthesis which i think means the brackets round them. Tried to boot in safe mode and other ways including from dvd all ways in looked out.

PC SPEC.

ASROCK N68PV_GS MB

AMD PHENON QUAD CORE

SAMSUNG 1TB HD

WINDOWS7 HOME PREMIUM.

This pc was built for me thats all i can rember hope it helps

many thanks bigbill13

I would suggest that you first reset your BIOS back to defaults (safe) - then check whether your Hard Drive is detected properly. (page 47 of the manual). If not, try changing the SATA input to which it's connected, or connecting another drive to that input - this should identify whether it's a drive problem, or a motherboard problem.

--

Monday, January 3, 2011 11:02 AM
  • Hi,tried what you said hd not detected but have not got a spare drive to try do you think it could be worth buying one to try sure it would be less money than going to a shop tnanks
    Monday, January 3, 2011 12:36 PM
  • "bigbill13" wrote in message news:eb22dbf6-e7b1-4b8b-b00b-89170139ee88...
    Hi,tried what you said hd not detected but have not got a spare drive to try do you think it could be worth buying one to try sure it would be less money than going to a shop tnanks
    You could see if the HD is detected on another machine?
    You certainly have a hardware problem which cannot be dealt with in this forum - I suggest going to the Answers forums and see if they have any better advice. Make sure that you mention the ages of both motherboard and hard drive - as one or the other may still be under warranty.

--

Monday, January 3, 2011 12:57 PM
  • "DominicP" wrote in message news:30e47909-32ca-45c9-a054-ae1cd5c875b9...

Try testing the disk with the Samsung utility from http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html.

I assume you do not have a floppy drive so you will need the ISO version and must burn a CD image - not just write the file to a CD as data.

If the BIOS can't find the disk, then nothing is going to read it, however hard your try, and with whatever OS/software you use.

--

Monday, January 3, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Does your controller support the speed of sata drive, do you need to fit a jumper to limit the drive speed?
    Monday, January 3, 2011 6:25 PM
  • "FHU130" wrote in message news:2f553f02-cf89-4568-be18-c2f44643e503...
    Does your controller support the speed of sata drive, do you need to fit a jumper to limit the drive speed?

There is no such jumper - unless you are thinking about the potential problems with the new-style advanced drives?
    The drive would appear to have worked for some time previous to the current problems - which would indicate that your scenario is not relevant.

--

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:47 PM