Recovery Issues - WHS Not Found RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried unsuccessfully (and until I'm bleary eyed) to restore a Fujitsu V1010 laptop that was backed up to our WHS.  I have inserted the Restore CD (7/6/2007 vintage), copied the drivers backed up on the the folder "WHS Drivers for Restore" to a USB drive, and followed much of the other advice that is posted on the support forums.  Still not working.  I have the laptop plugged directly into the Ethernet and am able to see the WHS when I boot normally, as well as connect to the Internet.  When I insert the restore CD and boot from that, however, I note that the ethernet network adapter is not discovered, even though I believe the driver software is on the USB drive.  The Network Adapter is Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet with drivers updated to 11/26/2008. 

I've noted that after initializing from the Restore CD, the only Network Device detected is the Atheros AR5006EXS Wireless Network Adapter, and not the Broadcom Ethernet Adapter.  I tried disabling the Wireless Adapter at the BIOS level and rebooting at which point no Network Devices appear. 

When the Restore Computer Wizard starts it gets stuck trying to find Your Windows Home Server.  There is no request to enter a password, simply "Windows Home Server Not Found".  

Any thoughts on next steps?  I can reinstall all software individually and then copy documents over, however, I really like the idea of being able to recover the entire system if there is a problem.  Otherwise WHS has been a blessing for our home set up.

Peter Ott

Grandfather's occupation
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:18 AM

Answers

•  Folks,

Success I believe - though I have no idea what worked. 

First, I created a new bootable WHS PP1 Restore CD - I had to read up on creating a bootable CD which was something I had yet to encounter though I'm sure must be pretty obvious to most on this forum (initially I created a bootable DVD not a CD which did not work).  The "bootable" CD ran and seemed to work consistent with the original Home Computer Restore CD, although it still couldn't find the ethernet device to connect to the Home Server.  I then went into the Device Manager to look at the Broadcom Ethernet settings - I changed two settings, (1) unchecked the Power Management box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and (2) changed 802.1 p QOS from disabled to enabled (I have no idea whether these changes had any impact).  

Next I checked that Broadcom Ethernet device drivers were on the Flash Drive - in addition to WHS versions, I also downloaded the most recent drivers for the ethernet device from the internet.  I ran the new restore CD again and it still would not recognize the Ethernet Device or see the Home Server.  At the BIOS level I disabled the wireless device settings. 

Next I tried rebooting again and this time I pressed F8 and booted into Safe Mode. When I got to the stage of loading drivers the Ethernet device did not initially come up but after the drivers were loaded the device was recognized and the Ethernet network drivers were loaded.  Encouraged I continued on with the Restore program.  The Restore application still did not recognize the Server and failed to launch.

Next I tried booting again from the new WHS PP1 Restore CD - this time in normal - not safe mode.  Again the Ethernet device was not initially recognized, though again when I installed drivers the Ethernet device was recognized as an network device.  I continued on and was then asked for my password - and the restore process seemed to successfully work from there.

Thanks for your help and encouragement. This was a puzzle.

Peter Ott
    Grandfather's occupation
    • Marked as answer by p0tter Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:02 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    which OS was installed on the laptop? Maybe it helps to download, extract and try the network drivers for Vista 32 Bit version.
    Other than that, you can try to go the way described in this FAQ with a second client PC.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,
    Sorry should have indicated Laptop runs Windows XP Professional Sevice Pack 3.  Read solution and am a little intimidated by the solution.  Will probably seek expert support to execute.  Thanks for your support.

Peter Ott
    Grandfather's occupation
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:25 PM
  • p0tter said:

Thanks Olaf,
    Sorry should have indicated Laptop runs Windows XP Professional Sevice Pack 3.  Read solution and am a little intimidated by the solution.  Will probably seek expert support to execute.  Thanks for your support.

Peter Ott

Grandfather's occupation

You could also try downloading the new WHS PP1 restore CD.  It might give you better results.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:53 PM
  •  Folks,

Success I believe - though I have no idea what worked. 

First, I created a new bootable WHS PP1 Restore CD - I had to read up on creating a bootable CD which was something I had yet to encounter though I'm sure must be pretty obvious to most on this forum (initially I created a bootable DVD not a CD which did not work).  The "bootable" CD ran and seemed to work consistent with the original Home Computer Restore CD, although it still couldn't find the ethernet device to connect to the Home Server.  I then went into the Device Manager to look at the Broadcom Ethernet settings - I changed two settings, (1) unchecked the Power Management box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and (2) changed 802.1 p QOS from disabled to enabled (I have no idea whether these changes had any impact).  

Next I checked that Broadcom Ethernet device drivers were on the Flash Drive - in addition to WHS versions, I also downloaded the most recent drivers for the ethernet device from the internet.  I ran the new restore CD again and it still would not recognize the Ethernet Device or see the Home Server.  At the BIOS level I disabled the wireless device settings. 

Next I tried rebooting again and this time I pressed F8 and booted into Safe Mode. When I got to the stage of loading drivers the Ethernet device did not initially come up but after the drivers were loaded the device was recognized and the Ethernet network drivers were loaded.  Encouraged I continued on with the Restore program.  The Restore application still did not recognize the Server and failed to launch.

Next I tried booting again from the new WHS PP1 Restore CD - this time in normal - not safe mode.  Again the Ethernet device was not initially recognized, though again when I installed drivers the Ethernet device was recognized as an network device.  I continued on and was then asked for my password - and the restore process seemed to successfully work from there.

Thanks for your help and encouragement. This was a puzzle.

Peter Ott
    Grandfather's occupation
    • Marked as answer by p0tter Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:02 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:00 PM