Server starting to run out of space - drive upgrade strategy needed RRS feed

• Question

• Love love love my WHS. However, I'm noticing some issues with it.

Even with 1.4TB I think I'm running out of space. I have about 200GB of free space and my large workstation won't finish a backup now. Since you can get 1 or even 2 TB drives fairly reasonable now I think its time to go LARGE!

I currently have a 700GB system Disk and two 400GB drives in the WHS unit. I'd like to swap out all the drives if possible, or at least the two 400gbs. But I read a while ago that your system drive's size is key to determining how large of a fileset you can backup at one time. This might be the issue with my 800GB worth of partitions not backing upon my machine?

I was thinking of adding one or two external 400GBs (i have a few of them laying around now) via USB to free up the internal drives and then replace with two TB sized drives. Then once they normalize remove the external drives. However, is it possible to replace the 700GB system drive? Or is a complete reinstall on a new system drive the only way?

Thank you.

Hugh

Saturday, July 31, 2010 5:36 AM

All replies

• For drives other than the system drive, you will want to:

1. Install a large drive.
    2. Add the large drive to server storage.
    3. Remove a small drive from server storage.
    4. Uninstall the small drive.
    For the system drive, the supported way of upgrading is a server recovery (or reinstallation, depending on the age of your installation media). But the size of the system drive shouldn't have much effect on your backups at this point, and having 200 GB free should be more than enough to back up a system that's been backing up successfully, even one with 800 GB of storage. For that, try running chkdsk /r on each of the drives in your large workstation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 1:03 PM