WHS to be available as a software purchase? RRS feed

• Question

• This may have already been answered but can someomne tell me if WHS will only be available as part of an OEM package including hardware or will it be available as a standalone software purchase?

If I can buy the software, anyone have an idea of the expected price?

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:47 AM

Answers

•  DavidCollins wrote:

This may have already been answered but can someomne tell me if WHS will only be available as part of an OEM package including hardware or will it be available as a standalone software purchase?

They've said it many times, it will be sold in th system builders channel but not stand alone. They've not announced pricing, as far as I know.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:02 AM

All replies

•  DavidCollins wrote:

This may have already been answered but can someomne tell me if WHS will only be available as part of an OEM package including hardware or will it be available as a standalone software purchase?

They've said it many times, it will be sold in th system builders channel but not stand alone. They've not announced pricing, as far as I know.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:02 AM
  • "Sider declined to provide specific release dates for either the system builder version -- standalone software that will allow users to install WHS on older PCs -- or the various hardware products. But he did confirm that an evaluation edition would be available with the eval timing out after 120 days."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/16/Microsoft-wraps-up-work-on-Windows-Home-Server_1.html

That seems to contradict what this article says unless I am misreading something.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:10 AM
  • NM, I think the article says exactly what you're saying. But in the end we will still be able to buy a copy to put on our own hardware, sort of like the unofficial XP MCE from Newegg and such.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:13 AM
  •  Supereri wrote:
    NM, I think the article says exactly what you're saying. But in the end we will still be able to buy a copy to put on our own hardware, sort of like the unofficial XP MCE from Newegg and such.

Exactly. Wink
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:20 AM