it worked just fine yesterday RRS feed

• Question

•  

I tried to install Office2007 today, and all of a sudden it says my serial isn't valid, so it refuses to admit that I'm genuine. It worked just fine yesterday, when I did this with the exact same disk on the exact same computer with the exact same key. I thought the whole point of the little green checkbox was to tell you your key was invalid (but since I copy and paste my key in each time, I wouldn't know if it catches invalid keys).

The only thing that has changed is that I wiped Vista off this thing and put XP with SP3 onto it. XP had no problems updating itself. Is it possible SP3 is to blame? I installed this on a laptop with XP and SP2 a few weeks ago and had no problem, just like I had no problem yesterday on this machine.

So how is this even possible, when pretty nothing of relevance has changed?

Saturday, July 5, 2008 8:43 PM

Answers

• DS2,

Please clarify the following:

1. What versions of Office 2007 are you using? 

2. Also you may want to type in the product key rather then copy and paste it. 

Please run the diag tool as it will help us to further analyze your issue at hand.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 

then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Lori MS

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:37 PM
  •  

Apologies for the delayed response.

Due to other factors, the drive had to be wiped and the whole process redone before this issue could be resolved. When I installed Office again, it had no problems this time either, and I did the exact same thing as before:

install

copy-and-paste key

install SP1 from disk

go to officeupdate to get the rest of the updates.

No problems at all. So I've got no idea what happened or why it decided to start working again; maybe there was just a hiccup in the online validation that day.

Thanks for your help, Lori.

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:15 PM

All replies

• DS2,

Please clarify the following:

1. What versions of Office 2007 are you using? 

2. Also you may want to type in the product key rather then copy and paste it. 

Please run the diag tool as it will help us to further analyze your issue at hand.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 

then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Lori MS

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:37 PM
  •  

Apologies for the delayed response.

Due to other factors, the drive had to be wiped and the whole process redone before this issue could be resolved. When I installed Office again, it had no problems this time either, and I did the exact same thing as before:

install

copy-and-paste key

install SP1 from disk

go to officeupdate to get the rest of the updates.

No problems at all. So I've got no idea what happened or why it decided to start working again; maybe there was just a hiccup in the online validation that day.

Thanks for your help, Lori.

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:15 PM